Mac Microsoft Word scroll bar not responding

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flexxy, Nov 4, 2009.

1. flexxy macrumors newbie

Hi

Suddenly my Word program vertical scroll bar no longer scrolls the page down when i click on the areas above/below the scroll bar. Instead only the bar moves. If i drag the scroll bar, it works. My horizontal scrollbar works fine. Tired reinstalling, creating a new account but no luck. If i go to System Prefences > Apparances > click in the scroll bar to: Jump to next page it works. But i want it to jump where i want it to. What do i do?

Thanks

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You can try replacing the com.microsoft.Word.plist file

It's in your Home folder > Library > Preferences.
    Drag it to the Desktop
    Fire up Word. It makes a new plist file in that ^ folder.

Other preferences you've changed will be reset to defaults.
    If it doesn't fix the problem, and you don't like the result, put the original file back where it came from.

Then we're back to square one, but don't give up yet!

3. flexxy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice but still not working. Any other ideas you can think of?
    Thanks alot

Flex

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You can try logging in under a different User Account

If you're not familiar with multiple accounts, read the info in Mac Help.

I had high hopes for the Word.plist file. That's specific to the application having trouble. The User Account thing is straying from Word to the OS.

Some people automatically run Repair Permissions for anything that goes wrong. Again, that's not specific to Word. I suppose it can't hurt anything though.

5. flexxy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup had tried all of those!! Knew i should not have bought an Microsoft product! Any more ideas!?

Thanks for the help

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

At this point, I'd say reinstall the program. I bet you've downloaded and installed several updates along the way. You'll have to do that again once you get it off your original disc.

Word is the only application that is doing this, right?

7. flexxy thread starter macrumors newbie

I have actually tried reinstalling two time already! :). Have just managed to email Microsoft support so hopeful they can help. Thanks for all your help and let me know if you can think of any other possible solutions

Thanks