Mac Migration Cable?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hmhlondon, Jun 21, 2014.

  1. hmhlondon macrumors newbie

    Jun 21, 2014
    I am about to buy a new 21" iMac. My old one has no Thunderbolt socket. How do you achieve migration of my old data? What cable do I need to use?
  2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

    Apr 23, 2011
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

    On the new iMacs, you can buy a FireWire-TB adapter.
  3. barkmonster macrumors 68020


    Dec 3, 2001
    The new one has no Firewire 800, the old one has no Thunderbolt. Short of spending quite a bit of money on a Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter and a Firewire 800 cable you're going to use once for Target Disk Mode, I'd use Ethernet.

    Connect an Ethernet cable between both systems.

    Enable the File Sharing on both systems.

    Add your boot drive to the shared list on your old Mac.

    Boot them both. Your old Mac will show up on the desktop as a network drive.

    Use Migration Assistant to move your old user data and files from the old Mac via the shared drive.
  4. hmhlondon thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 21, 2014
  5. Weaselboy Moderator


    Staff Member

    Jan 23, 2005
    Turn off wifi on both machines and connect them directly together with an ethernet cable. Then boot the new machine and during system setup it will ask if you want to import data from another Mac. Say yes and just follow the prompts. During that process it will tell you to launch Migration Assistant on the old Mac.

    You don't need to turn on file sharing at all for this to work.

    Give this a look.
  6. toddzrx macrumors 6502a


    Nov 20, 2012
    I've done my last two Mac migrations using Ethernet. Works like a champ and goes pretty quick.
  7. beme macrumors newbie

    Jun 18, 2014
    It will do the transfer via wifi. Takes forever, but no need to get a cable if you dont have the right one.

Share This Page