Mac Migration issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bcburrows, Nov 1, 2014.

1. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Hi

Thanks for anyone that can help with this. Just bought a new macbook pro. Decided to copy over only the old documents via migration assistant, thought I would re-install fresh copies of all my software. Used the migration assistant over wifi (forgot to buy a thunderbolt to ethernet cable). Problem is the process crashed with 1 minute to go (left it for about an hour at that point still saying 1 minute).

Can not find any of my files or folders, but when I look at my settings and storage I have 131 gigs of 'other stuff'. MBP only purchased yesterday fresh install of yosemite. My old documents would not have been more than a few gigs. Also tried cleanmymac2 but has not really found much.

Any ideas of what this mystery 131gigs is?

Thanks

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

My opinion, and mine only:

If you are going to "reinstall fresh copies" of all your software, you don't need to migrate that.

And if your old documents total up to "not more than a few gigs", why don't you use a USB flash drive and just "copy them over manually".... ???

Final thoughts:
    You might need Migration Assistant to "bring over" your email accounts and data (but even this can be done manually, if you do it carefully).

And -- DO NOT attempt migration via Ethernet. You want to do this "with a cable". It will make it MUCH faster, fewer problems...

3. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Mac Migration issue

I migrate with new machines and even for os upgrades. But never with apps. Totally easy and reliable:

Erase the drive to start over
    Install a fresh os
    Migrate again, with a cable this time
    Install your apps from scratch
    Repair permissions

4. bcburrows thread starter macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Appreciate the replies, however my issue is the 131gigs of unknown material on my new SSD. The transfer process is not the issue. I transferred via wifi only because I forgot to get a thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet cable, and as it was only files not a problem. I did not simply copy the files over because I could not - I had to use the time capsule for migration because the old hdd broke.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

OP wrote above:
    [[ my issue is the 131gigs of unknown material on my new SSD ]]

Search for a free app called "Grand Perspective" which will show you how the space on your SSD is being used...

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Ethernet is a cable. Did you mean WiFi? My gigabit Ethernet does migrations quite well. The only thing using wifi are the idevices.