Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dxm765

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Hey everyone I just purchased a second hand 2012 Mac mini, i5, 8gb ram, and a 500GB harddrive. I assume the only upgrades are an SSD and maxing out the ram at 16gb. There's nothing else that can/should be done correct?

Thank you everyone.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
SSD definitely, but unless you're absolutely certain you *need* 16GB then I wouldn't bother with a memory upgrade until you've given 8GB a go.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Hey everyone I just purchased a second hand 2012 Mac mini, i5, 8gb ram, and a 500GB harddrive. I assume the only upgrades are an SSD and maxing out the ram at 16gb. There's nothing else that can/should be done correct?

Thank you everyone.

The upgrades you suggest can be done.

Whether they should or need to be done depends on what you plan on doing with the Mini, and / or what you desire.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
As mentioned above, try 8gb of RAM for a while before you order more. 8gb may be fine for your needs.

Also -- be aware that you can get performance with an external USB3 SSD that will be indistinguishable from an internally-installed drive. So unless you're fully comfortable opening the Mini, you don't absolutely have to do that, with an SSD...

elolaugesen

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
I purchased a 512 SSD from Crucial. Used my USB 3 Seagate Slim Portable backup drive connector and ran the SSD off this for a couple of weeks, worked like a charm. Made sure I had several bootable backups and then finally installed the SSD in my Late 2012 mac mini. . Fiddly, stressfull but relatively easy. Just take your time, I did not use the data doubler. Lots of extra work to do. External USB3 drive works like a charm.
One more advantage to the USB3 bootable external drive. I am visiting my Daughter in Canada next week. I will use her IMAC running off my External drive. Then Go back home and have all files up to date in an instant.

I use Super Duper for backup and cloning and installed TRIM. Still not sure if it helps as Crucial SSD seems handles it too.

Final conclusion.. I did not really need to install SSD in the mini it worked very fast for the work I do. (but I had to prove to myself I could do it????)
cheers elo

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I bought my install kit from iFixit, I just got the parts needed as I had the tools (except for the logic board removal tool but that was included in the parts-only kit).

I would say the SSD probably made the biggest improvement in performance but I also upgraded from 4 GB to 8 GB RAM when I had the system open.

dxm765

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Hey everyone! Thanks for all the replies, i have the ifixit toolkit. But not the one that includes the mac tools....thankfully i didnt need the logic board removal tool, but i had a spare SSD and i harvested 8gb of ram from a laptop that isnt really used and WAMO! Even quicker mac mini!

That and since im the second owner it needed a good cleaning (dust and all)

narfcrunk

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2014
Piggybacking here:

Would it be wiser to upgrade to a single 8gb stick in case I need 16gb later down the line or to move to 2x4gb and just hope that 8gb total will be enough?

I bought a 2x2gb 2012 model used and I upgraded to an SSD, but it's time to upgrade the ram. I've got 8gb in my MBA and sometimes that is pushed to its limits

elolaugesen

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
From day one installed the 16 gb memory. why? Been in dp business longer than I want to remember. Memory is always needed for new apps. Also helps with both disc and ssd access. Improves cpu as you use it instead of waiting for disc. However if you plan on changing CPU shortly???? Then buy upgrades that can (?) be used in the future and not tied to your existing machine.
Double speak YES

Memory always helps .... It is not that expensive..

Cheers

dxm765

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Piggybacking here:

Would it be wiser to upgrade to a single 8gb stick in case I need 16gb later down the line or to move to 2x4gb and just hope that 8gb total will be enough?

I bought a 2x2gb 2012 model used and I upgraded to an SSD, but it's time to upgrade the ram. I've got 8gb in my MBA and sometimes that is pushed to its limits

I'd much rather have it and not need it, then not have it and want it/need it.
Every PC i've used over the last few years i have gotten with a middle ground amount of ram, if 4 is the min for most games/applications id go 8, now 8 is starting to be the min for some things so i went 16 for my last Windows PC. Now i have my 09 mac pro, it arrived 1-2 weeks back, before i even turned it on i opened it, put in my SSD, harddrive, and 32GB of ram, then worked on getting my GTX 680 2GB to work in it :p

So yes, i would much rather have x1 8GB stick, then 2x4's. Think of it as future proofing for you, or if you sell it gives the next guy the option to put in another 8 and call it a day rather then have to sell/discard the 2x4's and THEN get 2x8's

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.