Mac Mini 09: How to Connect to TV?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by legaleye3000, Aug 1, 2012.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

I had a cable where one end plugged into the mini displayport and usb on the mac mini, and the other end just plugged into my hdmi port on the tv.

The cable broke and I forgot where I got it... Does anyone have any suggestions on a cable and where to get it? I have seen now a mini display port to hdmi that works for both video and sound (no need for usb port to be taken up anymore), however, on the apple store website it shows it only supports 2010 mac minis and later...

Thanks.

2. nsfw macrumors regular

this:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6331&seq=1&format=2

Uses your displayport and audio out to combine into a single hdmi cable with sound and video. The audio is digital. It takes one usb port to power. I used it on my mac mini 2009.

3. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

4. nsfw macrumors regular

It doesn't work the way you are thinking. The 3.5mm headphone jack on the mac mini is both digital and analog. When you plug in desktop speakers or headphones its analog. When you plug in a 3.5mm plug to digital toslink cable it outputs in digital.
    The 3.5mm plug goes in your mini headphone jack and the digital toslink side plugs into this white box. The only output to your TV is the HDMI cable.
    What's the difference? The cheaper one is analog 2 channel sound. The more expensive one will output whatever the source material is on your mini. 5.1, etc. So it really depends on your needs. I had the digital one but the only speakers i used where the ones in my TV. So it was overkill.

5. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh ok. Thanks for the explanation. If I'm using the speakers in my tv and not a receiver or anything, would it make a difference to get the more expensive one, or is it only if I have surround sound? Thanks.

6. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

It connects, however, the picture does not fill the screen. I have a 50 inch and its filling as if its a 47 inch. I clicked overscan and then it stretches but a little too much so the sides are a little cutoff. So far the best setting is 720p. Any ideas? Thanks