Mac Mini 1 - how to reset for donation

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mikey777, Oct 27, 2015.

1. mikey777 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Someone gave me a Mac Mini 1 to dispose of but before I do, I want to wipe out any data on the drive. I don't have any of the original installation disks so I can't format and restore OS X 10.4. Is there any way to reinstall OS X without having the CD/DVD?

Thanks!

2. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Nope, you have to grab a disc if you want to do a complete reset.

3. weckart macrumors 68040

Recovery via the internet only came with OSX 10.7, which the Mac Mini 1,1 only supported with a C2D processor. Most were CoreDuo or CoreSolo and only supported up to OSX 10.6.

Any OS lower than 10.7 needs either the install disks or by cloning an existing installation on another Intel Mac via Target Disk Mode over Firewire.

4. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Considering he posted this in the PPC forum, he's most likely got a G4 mini and not an Intel-based model.

5. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

You could clone it from another computer if you want it to run Mac OS, but if you're disposing of it you could just erase the disk.

6. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

Or, alternatively, you can create a new user account and set it to auto login to that user, and delete the old user account, as well as deleting any data on the drive that isn't in that user account (application data, movies on the drive, etc.).

7. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

That seems to be the easiest way... if you may log into the mini.
    Otherwise you'll need the full version of Tiger (black box, silver X). The grey-DVD/CD's are only meant for the specific type of machine they came with.
    I've nearly spent a fortune (in my opinion) to get hands on an original Tiger-DVD but I'm really happy with it since the number of machines, that depend on Tiger, grew since.
    If the mini's optical drive doesn't work, you'll have to boot it in target mode (press&hold "T" on startup) and run the installation via FireWire from another Mac.
    It might server nicely as a media-center...

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'd boot into single user mode, wipe your current account using the command line, and then reset it to Setup Utility(look online for how to do this, but it involves deleting certain files that the computer looks for on startup to see that Setup Utility has been run).

That way, you can get rid of your new stuff plus give the new owner the experience of having a "fresh install" without the trouble of going through it.

When I set up/repair a Mac a PPC Mac for someone and have to reinstall the OS, I will often make my own account, run all the updates, then do the above.

9. RedCroissant Suspended

If you're in the Southern California area, I can probably help you!

10. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I have a DVD, but honestly have not even used it since I picked up a set of factory Tiger install CDs. Of course, it doesn't help that my DVD is in a dead iMac G4 and I've been too lazy to dig it out(one of my rare lapses of judgement in actually using my real DVD and not the "working copies" I usually use).

The DVD is convenient, but often when I'm installing Tiger I'm dealing with a computer that doesn't have a DVD drive. The set of 4 CDs could be had in exchanged for the retail DVD. All I've seen are pretty non-descript with a plain white label marked "OS X Tiger" and "Not for Resale." They appear to be CD-Rs and not pressed disks like the DVDs.

11. weckart macrumors 68040

Apple has started doing this for all of its optical media that people request copies/replacements for and these are cropping up on eBay now. When I first saw them I thought they were pirate copies until I saw exactly the same design from a number of different sellers, none of whom appeared to be anything but genuine.

I have a boxed set of Tiger CDs and these are in the same black livery as the retail DVD. These are also pressed and not CD-Rs. The box was the regular small format Tiger box.

Tiger CD.jpg

12. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Can you do this, deleting an exsisting user-account, and create a new one, even if that primary user account is secured by an unnown password?
    Otherwise everything could also be done easiely via System-Settings.

13. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

If one is so inclined, the unknown password can be set to a known one in single user mode.

I did this not too long ago on my Brother in Law's unibody Macboook-he'd bought it used and didn't know the password.

I also had an SGI Octane at work to which no one knew the password, and I had to first go in and change the root password then all the account passwords in single user mode. Although not running OS X, the BSD Unix variant on this computer(Irix 6.5) was "close enough" that I was able to stumble my way around.

Alternatively, if one has a system disk, it's relatively easy to boot onto it and change the password using the password tool contained on the install disk.

One unfortunate fact of life is that there's little to keep a knowledgeable user with physical access to a system from getting to everything in it. I tend to straddle the line of a "knowledgeable user"(although my OS X knowledge is pretty minimal compared to a lot of folks around here) and do at least do my best to use my "hacking" knowledge responsibly.

14. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Aah, I've also lost a Leopard-DVD in a PowerBookG4's slot-drive.
    I've got that PowerBook via ebay - it was really crappy and the seller took it back and I've got the money refunded. I was quite lucky everything ended this way and didn't bother about the Leoard-DVD at all, since I've got a bunch of them, which came together with some intel-iMacs.
    Tiger-Installation-Disks are much more rare to get and prices are much higher. Before I'm going to put another installation-disk into any slot-drive, I rather prefer to make an install via Target-Disk-Mode now.
    A few weeks ago I was lucky to get another Tiger-Disk together with an iBookG4 that I've bought and prepared for friends and they are happy now with one of my Leopard-Disks.

15. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

New macs don't have DVD drives, let alone disks. I wonder how you'd do this on a new one?

16. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Anything new enough to not have a DVD drive should be able to use internet recover, which in a lot of ways makes the job easier. The computer will automatically connect and download the originally installed OS.

Otherwise, for those with access to another Mac, making USB install keys is always an option. I have the install.app from the app store for every version of OS X from 10.7 to 10.11 on my main MBP(even though I use 10.9) along with an image from my 10.6.3 disk. There are programs that will make the key for 10.7 and later automatically, while 10.6 can be done from disk utilities. Since I'm often tweaking installs for specific purposes(generally to force installs on unsupported hardware) I don't keep keys made up, but I know many folks do. With a USB 3.0 flash drive and a Mac with USB 3.0(which my main MBP has), it's about a 10 minute job to make a key. Installing from USB is faster than installing from a DVD anyway.

USB install is as simple as inserting the key and holding "option" while booting-bootable USB devices will show in the options(BTW, this whole process is a LOT faster in EFI than in Open Firmware). There's a separate start-up key sequence to access internet recovery.

17. weckart macrumors 68040

I have found the opposite to be true; Leopard still commands a premium but even boxed Tiger discs can be had for very little. Having said that, the cost of most system discs in Germany is outrageous. You would be better off searching in the UK or France and even with shipping the prices will not approach the €40-€50 that German sellers are asking.