Mac Mini & 1080p video

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by belovedmonster, Oct 17, 2008.

1. belovedmonster macrumors regular

I know the Mac Mini is well overdue a new update, but regarding the current models, is the 2.0GHz model going to be able to play 1080p videos? Most places I'm reading say it can, but others say it cant.

Also, when Apple finally decides Blueray isnt a bag of hurt, will the Mini have enough horse power to run an external blueray player do you think?

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

With Plex or XBMC, the 2 gHz Mini works just fine for 1080p Blu-Ray video playback. The issue for real discs, however, is that the gma950 is not hdcp compliant, so that (and encryption) must be disabled on the disc prior to play back. This can be done by software, but no such software is available on the Mac side.

3. stukdog macrumors 6502

What a informative answer. It's always nice to have one like this rather than the one liners that are mostly conjecture.

4. belovedmonster thread starter macrumors regular

Is there any hope of Apple adding a hdcp compliant card in an updated Mac Mini?

5. IroquoisPliskin macrumors regular

No. If any models will be first to get Blu-ray it will be the MacPro and/or iMac.

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Sure, there's always hope. I suspect that if they build a revised Mini, it'll be just like the MacBook with the NVidia chipset. If that's compliant, then it would be doable. They also need to write playback software as well, but judging by Steve's comments, it's months away at least. I suspect he's using iTunes video sales as leverage with Sony and the other studios to get a better licensing agreement (i.e., $$$) for Apple, while also convincing them that they need to include iPod and iPhone-friendly versions on their BR discs - with Apple's Fair Play, of course. :rolleyes:

Pure speculation. You, nor anyone else outside of Apple knows their intentions. Unless you work for Apple Cupertino...

7. Adamo macrumors 6502

I think it's fairly obvious it's speculation as no one could know that information; I'm really not fussed either way with Blu-ray mind you, it's pointless on such a small screen when DVDs and downloaded video files look great.

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I'm not sure what you mean by small screen. My Mini is connected to a 1080p Sanyo projector by DVI to HDMI and displayed on a 10 foot-wide screen with Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound. :D