Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slimandslam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Today marks 11 full months since the last update of the Mac Mini (August 7th, 2007). It's the only Mac computer sold without wireless N. And it's the only one not running Penryn. I'm surprised it hasn't at least been given that bump. Any thoughts? :confused:

bob vansteel

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
Today marks 11 full months since the last update of the Mac Mini (August 7th, 2007). It's the only Mac computer sold without wireless N. And it's the only one not running Penryn. I'm surprised it hasn't at least been given that bump. Any thoughts? :confused:

lets wait till august before we start complaining cause more than likely your wish come true then

iSpoody 1243

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Australia
stop it!!!

thanks for the reminder, we all are already depressed from the lack of the updated mini:(

lparkiv

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
Why August?

Why do you think there a chance that news of a Mac mini update will be released in August? I scour the web on a weekly basis for news about an update, and have not, until now, ever seen anyone suggest August. That would be good news, indeed. :D

VaDor

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2006
Portugal,Palmela
I think one thing is for sure until July 11 you will not see any mac mini update.

Now is the :apple: iPhone 3G euphoria, I bet only in August...

-> btw I just bought a iMac 24" 2,8ghz very happy with it :D

lparkiv

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
Mac mini = home theater PC

We are LONG overdue to replace our 12 year old color TV (humans on the screen no longer appear to be flesh colored--more like colors ranging from a pale reddish green to ochre), and we'd like set up a home theater with an LCD TV and a Mac mini. My spouse is reluctant to buy a mini if a new one will be released soon. So, we sit and we wait.

We've been waiting a long time....

I've even begun to think that perhaps buying an iMac with the largest screen and a TV tuner might end up being the family's home theater system. Our existing TV is only 19 inches, so an iMac would still be something of an upgrade.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Thoughts? They're letting the stock run out and then discontinuing it. It's not part of the iPod promotion; they want to keep around what they have.

We know about the Mini. There are two very huge threads about it dying.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

the worst part is that it was outdated the moment it was updated last august. Even then Santa rosa was available and apple chose not to use it.

statler

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
Montevina is now hitting the streets. I believe the embedded video version is due out in August. This would be a possible moment to expect an upgrade.

FastEddy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
North Californie
New chip upgrade? More RAM module space? Improved performance generally?

I'm ready to upgrade two 'Minis here at the office. We use these for web development, so performance is an issue, but so is the meatspace desktop logistics.

I have a notice to the local Apple store to call when the next generation is available. We are members of the Apple Developer's Group, but no advance info there.

One Year and counting :apple:

ihabime

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Montevina is now hitting the streets. I believe the embedded video version is due out in August. This would be a possible moment to expect an upgrade.

Only if Apple decides to seriously alter their Mini strategy. Even when Apple did keep the Mini more up to date it didn't get newer chips until months after the rest of their computers.

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
Honestly I was tired of waiting. I needed an HTPC now and had to have something with the form factor of the Mac Mini so I just bit the bullet and bought it. If something newer and better comes out in the next month or two then so be it, but I need something now.

G5power

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
If & when the mini is finally updated, I am very tempted to take my current mini and install it in the entertainment center with a wireless keyboard / mouse and then replace it in my office with a new mini.

Tom Sawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
At this point, I'm really hoping the next gen Mini will be powerful enough to handle any HD format files out there (m2ts, mkv), full 1080p and have HDMI output. Since there are plenty of flat panels on the market now that user HDMI, it is reasonable.

XBMC for OSX is coming along nicely. I am currently using my PS3 for all my HD streaming needs, but the interface leaves alot to be desired, especially after a couple years use of XBMC. :(

ViperrepiV

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
As it is now, the mini is soooo overpriced, such a ripoff for what you get. it really needs an upgrade.

andersaa

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Hi guys, I've been following macrumors for a while but I am new to this forum.

Just got a new LCD tv yesterday, and I am looking for a media center. The mac mini seems like a perfect fit, except it needs more processing power to play HD content (from what I have read).

Glad I found this thread, and you guys talk about a possible update in August. What happens in August? I have tried to find a list of Apple events but haven't found anything yet.

-Anders

G5power

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Anders
It's not so much an expected Apple event as the progression of releases and upgrades from Intel.

At this point, many people on here seem to feel that Apple follows a pattern of updates that has the mini receive specs from the Macbook. Based on that the hope is that when the Macbook is updated, the mini will get a processor bump and also a bump in the integrated video. Best case possibly the top end mini would also get a hard drive and memory bump. Also it is anticipated that the mini will have the newer generation wireless.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Just got a new LCD tv yesterday, and I am looking for a media center. The mac mini seems like a perfect fit, except it needs more processing power to play HD content (from what I have read).

No, it's not that at all. The problem is that Apple cannot (or will not) write decent playback software for Quicktime (and Front Row). For proof of this, download XBMC for Mac and try playing your favorite H.264-encoded 1080p video file. It'll show you precisely how good the Mini is at HD playback.

amusiccale

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
11 months is a very long time in the computer world. With Apple leaving it by the wayside (I assume laptop sales are growing faster) for portable and iphone development, it basically is on the Cinema Display plan. And it's a shame: if a new one were to be released, I would encourage my girlfriend to get one. As it is, the outdated hardware really doesn't make a convincing case.

tom53092

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Price comparison with Dell

As it is now, the mini is soooo overpriced, such a ripoff for what you get. it really needs an upgrade.

To put some numbers to it, a quick look at Dell. For about the same price as the base Mini, you get a 2.4 Ghz quad-core processor, 2GB RAM, a 250GB drive. OK, to be fair, it wasn't really the same price...it was $100 LESS. Yes, I know about the "it's laptop components so it's gonna be slower" argument, but this is getting to be extreme.

I love my Mini, and look forward to the next one. That said, given a choice, I would choose performance over smallness and cuteness. A consumer-grade sub-$1000 microtower would totally rock, ya know, what lots of us have been wanting for as long as the Mini has been out. That would excite me. I want to feel excited about my next Mac, not just settle for what's available. I want to feel a fraction of the excitement that iphone buyers are feeling.

The timing is right. Apple is on a roll. Their market share gains are amazing when you consider that they've done it without a performance-competitive consumer desktop (headless). A minitower could really give an even bigger boost to their market share. I wonder if the only person at Apple that hasn't figured that out is Steve.

lparkiv

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
Hackintosh mini?

Has anyone considered building a "mini" hackintosh with much better hardware under the hood? Yes, I'm aware of the sometimes courage-rattling workarounds one must install to keep the hackintosh OS up-to-date. Nevertheless, as someone upthread pointed out, once can build one hell of a "Franken-PC" and if you can do with components that work with the Hackintosh concept, then the idea becomes tempting. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.