Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scriptdaddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
Following on from my earlier thread about buying a US mac mini for the UK, I was wondering if someone could help me further.

I'm planning on picking up the Base Mac Mini and upgrading the RAM to 4GB myself when I get it back.

Now I was thinking that since the internal HDD has only 160Gb (maybe less), I would pick up a 1Tb time capsule and would use that as external storage.

Would this be a feasible idea or can the time capsule only be used for backups?

Ideally I would be storing my itunes library, documents, pictures and video's on there. I would use the Wireless N from the time capsule to stream any video's and music to the mac mini.

Can the iPhone connect to the itunes library on a time capsule?

Would this be a recommended solution, or should I look at alternative options?

Ben

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
If you don't need a router, why not just get an external hard drive?

What you propose would work . . . but you can't back up the Time Capsule itself, so if all your music/photos/vids are on it, those won't be backed up.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
An iphone can connect to whatever library iTunes is accessing, which can be on the Mac's internal HD or an external HD.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
I would recommend a 500GB TC and an external HDD which can either be plugged into the TC or your mini.

If you are going to upgrade your memory then you can just as easily insert a larger HDD, you will already have completed the required disassembly to get to the memory.

My 7200rpm drive gives a nice speed boost too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.