Resolved Mac Mini 2,1 Fan Out of Control - Fixed!

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by TTQuattroturbo, Apr 6, 2011.

1. TTQuattroturbo macrumors newbie

Apr 3, 2011
    For those that have had issues with the fan speed on a Mac Mini 2,1 (late 2007?) model: If you have tried everything you can to resolve this, including an SMC reset, checking the fan plug inside, etc. --> it may be that you upgraded your memory from a single chip to two chips. I upgraded mine from 1 GB (standard) to 4 GB from OWC. Their memory is fine -- I think something happened in one of the many updates from Apple that caused my fan to run at around 5500 RPM whenever I scrolled in Safari or if the computer was taxed whatsoever. It was not a continuous fan running issue, but rather only when the computer was taxed. Also, it was not running hot - maybe 42 degrees C using SMCFanControl to check it. All I did today was remove the second memory chip, leaving in just the 2 GB chip, and now the fan is back to normal. I hope this helps someone else who is irritated to death by the noisy fan!

If someone has found a solution other than removing the 2nd chip, please reply. I would very much like to put the other memory back. Thanks!
  2. noiseykiwi macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2011
    Mac Mini Fan Speed

Double check you have replugged the little black connector at the front. I forgot to do mine and the fan went flat out all the time, I popped the hood, plugged it in and all good.
  3. TTQuattroturbo thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 3, 2011
    Fan Out of Control

Thanks for the response, but I had stated that I already checked all the plugs, and that wasn't the issue. This is a hardware problem, in my opinion, with the Mac Mini 2,1 when someone puts in 4 Gb of RAM. I don't know why, but taking out the second 2 Gb chip put the fan back to normal. I did this several times, trying to use both memory chips, but it made the fan go crazy again (not constant).

I have since upgraded to a 13.3" MBP, Core i5, and sold my Mini with just 2 Gb of RAM installed.