Mac Mini 2.3GHz i5 w/ 23" ACD or 24" iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cmosher, Dec 8, 2011.

1. cmosher macrumors newbie

So I can purchase a 24" iMac G5 2.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, Nvidia Gforce video card, 640 GB Hard drive storage OR I can purchase a brand new Mac Mini 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, 2GB memory, 500GB hard drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000 with an older 23" Aluminum HD Apple CInema Display

I am unsure if the new Mac Mini will even be compatible with the older ('07 or '08) 23" Aluminum HD Apple Cinema Display (it's the one with 2 Firewire 400 ports and 2 USB 2.0 ports)

Or, I can get the 24" iMac. Both setups are same price for me. I am buying the iMac used (it's was purchased October 2009) with Apple Care good till October 2012. Or I am buying new Mac Mini and 23" ACD.

Which setup is better, and why? It's the same money, but what's better?

2. toxic macrumors 68000

what's better depends on what you use it for. the Mini has a faster processor. the iMac has a faster hard drive. graphics is probably a wash since the iMac only has a 9400M. iMac only goes to 8GB memory, Mini to 16.

you'll need a miniDP-DVI adapter to use the 23". the FW 400 ports will be useless.

3. cmosher thread starter macrumors newbie

It will mainly be a family computer, however, I do edit video often in Final Cut Pro. I also do photo editing in Photoshop. But I have never been very critical of "calibrating" monitors, just never that professional and never saw the need. The video and photo stuff is for personal use, not professional.

4. toxic macrumors 68000

5. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

What is a G5 Core 2 Duo?
    If it's a G5, then defenitely choose the Mini. If not, it's up to you.

6. cmosher thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Only second posting something on this site and appreciate the insight. I am going with the Mac Mini i5.

Now, I can get a 23" Aluminum HD Apple Cinema Display, but the guy wants to bundle it with a PowerMac G5 1.8ghz PowerPC. He's asking $350 for both. What's the PowerMac worth if I buy the bundle and sell the PowerPC 1.8ghz (which is not loaded, just stock RAM, HD, etc)?

Or, another guy is selling a 23" Aluminum HD Apple Cinema Display for $225. Supposing both are similar condition (not pink tinge, no dead pixels, no scratches) which would you buy at which price?

7. cmosher thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I got the guy down to $320 for the PowerMac G5 and the 23" ACD. He used it for word processing and was original owner. Said it was lightly used. Good deal, yeah?

Possibly give the PowerMac to my Mom or Sister to use? Old Mac OS, but decent for web browsing and word processing?

8. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Make sure it's loaded with 10.4 Tiger, and it'll be perfect for web browsing, word processing, storage and light tasks! Enjoy the PM and the ACD. :)

9. cmosher thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again. Appreciate the advice. Got the Mac Mini coming in the mail from Apple. Got the PowerMac G5 and 23" ACD. The display is beautiful and can't believe that it is going on 10 years old (actually 8, but close). The G5 worked better than expected, watch a movie on Hulu with the family last night (low quality) and it worked fine.