Mac mini 2007 C2D wireless n upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by equalsign, Jun 1, 2012.

1. equalsign macrumors newbie

I was wondering if anyone had any experience upgrading to wireless n with the 2007 C2D mac mini. All the guides I have found are about the CD (not C2D) machines. I have seen people say they have, but I have spent about 12 combined hours looking for info on the C2D upgrade with no luck.

I was on the verge of picking up the MA668Z/B when I saw this ebay listing (link) that says it won't work on C2D machines. Freaked me out a bit. Hoping to get some advice to save me some headache.

These are the cards I'm looking at right now:
    AR5BXB72 (Just found this card listed on OWC while typing this [link], looks like the one!)
    bcm94322mc
    Apple Atheros 9280 (but all these cards on eBay ship from China and are likely bootleg)

In the picture of the AR5BXB72 I see 3 little spots on the top. I'm guessing those are the antenna plug ins. Which does the bluetooth go into vs the old wifi antenna and the additional wifi antenna? Does it matter? Also, I can't find much info on the antenna. Is this (link) what I need?

I just opened my mac mini for the first time yesterday to upgrade it with 4gb Crucial ram, so I'm not afraid to open up my machine for upgrades. Thanks for any help!

2. equalsign thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm thinking that card is the one I need. If someone only knows the answer to the antenna questions I'd really appreciate any help!

3. equalsign, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

equalsign thread starter macrumors newbie

Posting this for any future interested parties:

I bought the AR5BXB72 and two antenna (all from eBay, for much cheaper). Installed and everything is working great! It is recognized in Snow Leopard. I hear that Leopard and Snow Leopard have have the wireless n activator built in. My connection is stuck at 130 Mbit/s, but I think that's the router. It's really far away and on the ground floor, so whoever set it up probably set it to 2.4 GHZ for increased range. I'm at college and live in a basement. The router is an Airport and the guy who owns it moved out a long time ago.

I had issues in Windows 7 bootcamp. It didn't have the drivers. I used the Snow Leopard disc to attempt a repair installation of the drivers, but that didn't work either. I had to uninstall the drivers and reinstall them from the Snow Leopard disc. Worked then.

I'm pretty satisfied with the upgrade. Speed tests are returning double what they ever have. Good luck to anyone out there trying this!

PS: If you run the antennas out the security hole MAKE SURE you cut off the little metal thing on the lid before you put it back on. If you force it you will cut off your antennas.

4. El Burro macrumors regular

El Burro