Mac Mini 2007 Performance Issues or Chrome

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by timjamesbrennan, Jul 4, 2014.

1. timjamesbrennan, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014

timjamesbrennan macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just got a second hand Mac Mini 2007 on eBay for £200, but it is annoyingly sluggish running chrome browser. Its running 10.7.5 with 3 gigs of ram, 1.83 core 2 duo, and a crucial ssd.

I just need it for watching youtube and surfing the web, but it is pretty poor at those things.

For some reason youtube videos stutter a lot when on Chrome. Safari is ok at playing them. When I launch Chrome and restore 10 tabs, I am waiting for all the tabs to load for at least a minute or two. gmail takes 10 times longer to load in chrome than in safari.

I just looked at the temps - see screenshot - https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjr1lc2536d81o3/Screen Shot 2014-07-04 at 20.14.51.png

Then another issue - Wifi doesn't automatically connect when waking from sleep. Manually connecting gives a strong signal which is puzzling.

I am thinking of possibly returning it and getting a refurbed mac mini for double the price. Its a bit of a shame because I don't really have very demanding needs for it and its just a bit too slow to be used on the occasional basis.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Does this happen with Firefox? Chrome isn't the best browser for loading many tabs at once or with tabs that lots of moving things in it on older computers like a 2007 Mini.

3. timjamesbrennan thread starter macrumors newbie

Just downloaded Firefox and it was taking 12 minutes to download 50MBs so I moved the router and now the speed has increased a lot. That hopefully will help with the WIFI issue.

Firefox is running fast too. So it seems its just a Chrome issue. This is a shame as I prefer chrome. I have cleared out the cache and cookies but still no luck.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think Chrome's problem is how it handles multiple threads. Firefox and Safari do most of their work within one primary thread. Chrome has a different thread per tab and on a machine with only two threads, like a 2007 Mac Mini, it can cause the whole machine to slow down as ten threads for ten tabs fight for resources.

5. timjamesbrennan thread starter macrumors newbie

Firefox is just a bit slow when scrolling with the mouse wheel. Safari doesn't have this problem. Safari is an OK browser but I miss the features of chrome like middle mouse closing tabs, and autofilling URLs from History is always too far down the list.

6. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Well, you could try downloading bettertouchtool and remapping the middle mouse button to "command-w" to close tabs, and turn up the mouse sensitivity in system preferences.