Mac Mini 2009 3 Monitors

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by polignac, Sep 29, 2009.

1. polignac macrumors newbie

Hi guys, need some help here. I've got a 2009 mac mini and currently running 2 19" monitor. I was just wondering if there's anyway that i can run a third monitor (19") to the current setup? If so can you please advise how I would go about doing that? Thanks!

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I don't have much idea but I think to get more than 2 screens hooked up you need to install some sort of card or something to run more than 2 screens.

Good luck!

3. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

You need an USB to DVI graphic adapter, something with a DisplayLink chip (there are many companys, that produces this stuff).

[​IMG]

But be warned, that because of the USB 2.0 interface, this type of connection is not good enough for moving images (aka watching movies, gameplay etc.).

On the plus side, there is the advantage, that you can connect up to four (or even more) of these things and hook up up to four or more displays to your computer, if it has four or more USB 2.0 ports.

4. polignac thread starter macrumors newbie

The third display

At the moment i have 2 displays, one is mainly for report writing and image arrangement, surfing etc. i put all my instant messages and itunes on the other display. If i have 3 monitors i could watch movie on one not connected to usb, and the other two for report, surfing and messages etc... suppose that would be ok for usb connection?

5. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

Yes, this would work.

6. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I currently do this with my iMac, utilizing

-the Monitor built into my iMac
    -A secondary LCD monitor
    -An LCD HDTV that is set behind the iMac I throw media up on...USING THE USB. For DVDs, Hulu and YouTube, the picture is fine over USB.

I have the EVGA UV-12+ or something like that, and even though it says its for Windows, it works great with the display link drivers for Mac.

7. polignac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thats something i was looking for! Hopefully i can find one that does shipping to NZ...

Cheers!

8. polignac thread starter macrumors newbie

USB Adapter

So i managed to get the usb adapter, and downloaded the display link driver from the website, and now i have 2 19" LCD at my left and right, staring into a 24" LCD in the middle. The mac mini is handling this quite well, although at the USB connection the wallpaper change at 5 mins interval is not gradual. Really happy with the setup now.

Oh and surprisingly, the beta driver running on 10.6.1 is pretty smooth too. Nice!

9. daesland macrumors newbie

mac mini with three monitors

It works great. Ive got the latest mac mini (late 2009). Plugged into it are three monitors. The apple 24 inch cinema screen in the middle and a 19 inch sony either side. The cinema display uses the displayport, one of the sonys uses the mini dvi port (with the mini DVI adaptor) and the other sony uses a kensington usb display port. It works perfectly and is really useful for having several things open at once.

10. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

they also make a usb moniter from doublesight but only in 9 in

11. blizaine macrumors 6502

blizaine

Thats good to know. I've never tried this model. I've test two different ones and both of them had very poor video playback abilities. Unless the video window was really small. But if the video tried playing full screen, it was like watching it over a VNC connection.

12. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Also Matrox with their Dual & triple head adapters