mac mini 2009 can't connect to wireless keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by intellijel, Jan 26, 2012.

1. intellijel macrumors newbie

I have a mac mini 2009 model running OSX server 10.6.8

I have been unable to get it to see any BT devices including my brand new apple wireless keyboard.

I have tried putting the keyboard right on top of the mini in case it was a range issue but it just sits forever looking for a BT device and finding nothing.

In system profiler it shows that BT is active and working so the only thing I can think of is that the BT aerial is not connected or defective.

Any tips?

2. California macrumors 68040

California

Why aren't you running it as a Mac Mini?

I.e. where is your original software?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. intellijel thread starter macrumors newbie

It is working as a file server for my home network. Everything else is running fine except for this.

My other macbook laptops see the keyboard no problem.

----------

Tried all of those things. Restarted several times, turned BT on/off, tried different batteries (the lights do flash green).

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What about the links I posted?

6. intellijel thread starter macrumors newbie

They don't apply because the server is totally set up and works fine (I have a USB keyboard and mouse). It simply will not see the new BT device.

I bought some appropriate tools today (i.e. putty knife) and I going to crack this thing open and see if there is a visible issue with the BT antenna).

7. California macrumors 68040

California

That thought just occurred to me on your machine. Somewhere I have the bluetooth airport part for that Mac Mini

8. intellijel thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it open and couldn't see anything unplugged or visibly wrong (afaik).

Booted up the mini WITHOUT the cover on and tried the pairing process. Still did not work BUT if I held the keyboard so it was basically touching the aerial I was able to get pairing! As soon as I moved it away from this position the pairing was lost.

This would suggest to me that the aerial is broken, needs modding or is not connected (but I can't see where it is disconnected).

----------

Actually now that I look at the ifixit files it is clear that I do not have a BT antenna/board at all! (I was mistakenly looking at the wi-fi antenna).

Mystery solved but now I need to get one of those little blue boards :(

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All 2009 Mac minis come with bluetooth built in.

10. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Same issue with mine at first. Had to use a wired USB keyboard from Microsoft I had laying around which worked, than turned on the wireless apple keyboard next to it. Than I removed the USB keyboard, and all is well. Unknown if this will work for you but good luck.....