Mac Mini 2009 question

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by iSlave, May 26, 2009.

1. iSlave macrumors 6502

What with the new Mac Mini sharing the same graphics chip as the lower end iMac models, how does the Mini stack up for video, After Effects, or 3d work? It would seem contradictory to say that the iMac is capable of these things, but the Mini isn't?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Better than the old one, for sure. However, I would say that the mac mini and iMac aren't the best for 3d video stuff.

Really, it depends on your needs. If you do it once in a while as a hobby, I would say it would be acceptable, but if you talk to a genius at an apple store, they will tell you that the mac mini can't even run photoshop :rolleyes:

3. iSlave thread starter macrumors 6502

hehe....yes, according to Apple we should all be buying Mac Pro's for any video work. Of course we should.

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Heck, it will do a fantastic job, I know plenty of people who use or have used Final Cut Pro on Mac Minis and MacBooks (White) and or Final Cut Express. Sure Apple would probably have a fit, but it seems to work. I can do heavy iMovie work at the same time as Dreamweaver and Flash Pro on my White MacBook, so it will work great. No as fast as the Mac Pro of course, but should be acceptable.

5. urbanskywalker macrumors 6502

The mantra is always the same. Get the fastest mac possible to run video. Of course yesterday's super mac is tomorrows mini. I remember when the drool worthy Powerbook Pismo came out at 4oo mhz. I was doing all kids of artistic video and remember seeing this awesome machine billed as "portable editing speed demon" or something to that effect. The target is always moving. A good portion of it is marketing, and the invention of the consumer/pro dichotomy is a favorite ploy.