Mac Mini 2009 server won't boot

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by McCracky, Jul 25, 2012.

1. McCracky macrumors newbie

Bought it used and broken for 100$ to fix it. It tries to boot, the fan goes on high and then it shuts off. Then it tries to start itself again. I have tried putting more heatsink goo. I have reset the PRAM and the logic board (took out the little battery). I took out one hard drive, then the other, checked the RAM. The antenna's are broken. Already ordered new ones. Is it the logic board? I am afraid of getting a new logic board and then having it be one of the hard drives. I have an additional PowerBook G4 mac.
    Oh, also, so when I turn it on, the fan slowly gets louder and louder, then there's a 'CLICK' and then the whole thing shuts down. help?

I think it's 2.56gz, 4 gigs of RAM and 1 TB of hard drive space.

2. Omnius macrumors 6502a

That strikes me as being logic board related. That's also one of the more expensive pieces to replace. Hard drives are cheap. You might consider bringing it to an apple store and bugging the geniuses to confirm your thoughts.

3. McCracky thread starter macrumors newbie

can anyone recommend a place that i can send it to that doesn't cost 800$?
    i found a motherboard repair place on ebay for 200$, but i'm hesitant to send it there.

4. mwhities macrumors 6502a

Logic boards are 400-600.. depending on which. My experience of taking my apart and replacing drives (added a data doubler with a second hard drive), they aren't to hard to replace.

As for repairing the motherboard, no idea. I know I wouldn't want to do it and warranty it. I think getting a new logic board (at that price, a new Mac mini) would be the best bet.

Good luck on whichever way you go.

5. McCracky thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the responses. I am currently getting it diagnosed so i can know for sure. i've read on this forum of people sending their logic boards off for repair and being successful. i would rather not buy a new one for budgetary reasons. i think i know what the issue is on the mother board. the inter-connector slot on the logic board that essentially connects the hard drives to the board was all wonky. has anyone replaced just that? also, i can't find where to purchase motherboard/logic board parts anywhere. anybody?