Mac Mini 2010 2nd HD wanted

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adam9c1, May 25, 2017.

1. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

I have a Mid 2010 (first unibody) Mac Mini. I'd like to remove the optical drive and install second hard disk in its place.
    Would you please help me with what sort of caddy/case/wiring I need to purchase?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

If you're not going to boot from the drive, you'd do just as well to buy an external drive, plug it in, and use that.

Far less trouble, and less chance of breaking something inside.

3. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

All information for the procedure and what you need (caddy etc.) can be found on ifixit.com

If you need booting capability and If you already have a Firewire800 external HDD enclosure I would first try this, if it fits your needs. So you don't need to buy an adapter and do the operation.
    You could also buy a Firewire800 HDD enclosure used from an auction on Ebay and sell it, if it doesn't meet your needs. For booting some might suggest a SSD. But on the other side look at ifixit, the operation might not be that big of a problem, so you will be better off with a second internal, since the other options (external) are more there to avoid opening the Mac.

4. adam9c1 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam9c1

I was confused, ifixit has a cable as part of its kit while owl has a caddy much like for 2009 I replaced in the past.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I think you were looking at a kit for a later mini, which would come with a cable when the typical installation is to add an SATA drive when there is no optical drive present.
    The 2010 still only needs the caddy (and special tools, of course) - such as this OWC page shows. No cable in that kit :)
    And, iFixit also does not show a cable, if you are on the page for the 2010 mini.

Small case - tight places, if you do the dual drive setup, be careful in your work. It is quite common to read about breaking a small connector, or pulling a wire apart accidentally when working on a mini.

6. adam9c1 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam9c1

I've replaced hard drives in two 2010 (server versions) and it was not bad.

Was not sure how to go from optical to hd.

Is 2012 hd replacement more complicated? I picked up 2012 that I want to run two drives in too.

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The 2012 is similar to 2010, for adding a second storage drive. You just need the extra cable for the 2012, as well as a couple of screws, etc, where the 2012 just needs the caddy.

So, just a couple of additional parts, where the server versions of the mini already would have any hardware for two drives that you needed.
    The iFixit slides show you the steps for repair. I use them quite often, just for reminders on steps to watch out for, as there is usually good notes about sensor cables, etc.

The 2012 ALSO has the decided advantage of USB 3, which allows you other options for an external boot drive, either FW800, or USB 3 devices make good (speedy) boot systems, without needing to play around inside the case at all.