Mac Mini 2010 as HTPC

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by HipsterGG, Jun 12, 2015.

1. HipsterGG macrumors member

HipsterGG

Hi there,

I'm able to buy a 2010 Mac Mini for €120,- which isn't much. But I'm wondering if it will be enough for my needs.

Mainly I will be using it for:

- Netflix
    - Spotify

Thanks in advance.

2. HipsterGG thread starter macrumors member

HipsterGG

I should probally add that the machine does have a 5400rpm disk and only 2GB of RAM memory.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It'll be enough, but pretty slow.

4. HipsterGG thread starter macrumors member

HipsterGG

Yea. But I do have an 256gb SSD lying around and some additional 2x4 gb or ram.

Once upped with these will it be worth the money?

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I use a 2010 Mac Mini as my HTPC. It has the original Disk drive but I have upgraded memory to 4Gig. It works really well I mainly run a Plex server on it and hardly use the disk drive since all my media is on a NAS. I brought it new and it has always served as my HTPC and performs no different now than the day I installed it. It has seen all the osX upgrades.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It would be. Throw in the SSD and 8GB of RAM and it'll become very useable indeed for a lot of things.

7. g33k macrumors member

g33k

This is a very capable machine. Make it you reinstall OS X so its fresh. If you really care about it, you could give it 8GB's of RAM, and an SSD will make even more of a difference. I recommend getting any parts for upgrading from Other World Computing.

8. xmlninja macrumors regular

My 2009 Mac mini has served me for 6 years. 4gb ram. I replaced disk with 480 gb ssd and 2tb 2.5" disk in an optibay recently. Which certainly boosted performance.