Mac Mini 2010 - Issues With Portrait Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Kryckter, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Kryckter, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010

Kryckter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

I just picked up a 2010 Mac Mini. Intel 2.4 cpu, installed a OWC SSD and 8gb of ram.

Anyways, using the HDMI to DVI that was included, anytime I switch to have the monitor rotated 90 degrees so it is in portrait, the quality goes away. The text no longer looks clear, the display seems to lag, and if I drag a window, the image tears really bad.

Anyone else have this issue? Give it a try it you havent, let me know....

Thanks

*EDIT*
    Just confirmed this also happens with a mini display port to dvi connection. I have also tried 2 different DVI cables, both a single link and a dual link....

2. rtrt macrumors 6502a

logically i'd expect the text to be less clear as i think the pixels in lcd's are not square.

so a font thats designed to look good with rectangular pixels in one orientation isn't going to look as good when you rotate 90 degrees.

3. Baby Mac macrumors regular

Baby Mac

iRotate

I am able to rotate my monitor without incident in Boot Camp/Windows 7. I also picked up a great little program, iRotate, which allows me to use hotkeys to rotate the display without going through the nVidia Control Panel.

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I have this issue too. OP, what is your monitor? I have an HP u2211h, just got it. Using display port (quality vastly improved over VGA, but still blurriness as you mention.)

BTW, make sure you've applied font smoothing via this method:

defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 2

That helped me a little.

The explanation makes sense, but what about the tearing? It doesn't really matter to me since I just view text in Portrait, but it would be nice to fix.

iRotate is for windows; Display Rotation does the same thing for the Mac, and it adds a nice little menu extra.

5. Kryckter thread starter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

I'm using a Dell 2407wfp. I've been using this monitor for years in portrait on a windows box....

6. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Quick googling suggests that it could be a nVidia driver issue.

7. Kryckter thread starter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

I see that was a few years ago...

I run the same monitor with a windows based PC in portrait mode with nvidia cards and have no issues at all...

8. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Ah. Well then, I'm stumped. If I had bootcamp on the MBP, I'd try it in Windows...

9. Kryckter thread starter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

I'm stumped too, but I have found threads back to 2005 where the mini has had these problems. Don't really find stuff about PC's or the iMacs and Mac pros having these issues.

I'm calling Apple tech support tomorrow, either fix it or hopefully they credit me the amount to upgrade.

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I'm on a MacBook Pro, BTW. But we have the same nVidia 320m.

11. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

On my Early 2009 mini (9400M), there's no issue whatsoever using one of my displays in portrait via a MiniDP-VGA adapter. Display is a Dell 1704FPT, as is the secondary monitor to a 20" Apple Cinema Display.