Mac Mini 2010- Mountain Lion Experiences

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Huge125, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Huge125 macrumors member

Huge125

Post your experience with Mountain Lion running on a Mac Mini 2010 here. For those of us still trying to answer the age old question "to upgrade or not upgrade."

2. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

I don't have a 2010 Mini, however, I have a 2009 MacBook Pro with a 2,66 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU, which should be just about as fast. In my experience, ML is more stable (after a few crashes right after the installation) and a little bit faster than Lion. Animations are still not buttery smooth, but that's 'cos of the graphics card (9600M GT in my case, so faster than the 2010 Minis).

All in all, I don't find any reason not to upgrade. It's almost like from Leopard to Snow Leopard, but with less issues IMHO.

3. mwhities macrumors 6502a

I have an early '09 Macmini and with a 64G SSD drive and 8Gs of ram, it's running amazingly fast. I play D3 on low/medium. Everything opens quickly. Start up to login, takes 32 seconds. Far faster than what I thought it would be. Safari with 8+ tabs open, iTunes open all of the time. Several background apps running (cubby/google drive/crashplan)..

All of it running great.

4. Huge125 thread starter macrumors member

Huge125

Thanks Poki and mwhities. I'm leaning towards doing the upgrade. My system is running well now, so I just hate to introduce the possibility of messing it up and having to reformat back to Lion.

I've read mixed reviews regarding performance of ML. Some say its actually zippier while a few others have had some issues. I've got 8gb of ram, and really only use light applications like email, surfing, garageband, itunes, and iphoto, so I think it will be fine. I'd like to get my system to ML, and then retire it from OS upgrades except for minor updates.

Think I may have found this weekend's project and hopefully if things go well it wont be a very time consuming project. I'll reply back with how it went.

5. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

I upgraded last week. It's running just fine. 2010 Mac Mini.

6. Rapscallion macrumors regular

I upgraded on release day and find it runs great on my 2010 mini.

7. Scrapula macrumors 6502

I have a late 2009 Mac Mini. I just upgraded this week. I was going to wait and just get a new Mac when/if they come out this fall, but I caved. I have not noticed any increase or decrease in speed. Nothing stopped working.

8. Mikesus, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

Mikesus macrumors 6502

My bluetooth module is not available.

This was after upgrade and migrate.

Tried deleting plists, resetting pram and smc, no Joy.

Reinstalling 10.8 and seeing if that resolves it...

9. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

I have a mid 2010 mini running Mountain Lion + Server and it's working well.

10. cvaldes macrumors 68040

My Mac mini 2010 is also running Mountain Lion without issue. I upgraded a couple days after ML was released.

11. Mikesus macrumors 6502

Fresh install resolved it.

12. Huge125 thread starter macrumors member

Huge125

Upgraded my 2010 Mac Mini today. Overall, it was a very easy upgrade. Not too big of a difference in performance as mentioned by others.

Everything looks to be ok, except I can't put the machine to sleep. I'll typically put it to sleep by using a hot corner if I know I'm done using it for the day. I can get the monitor to turn off, but the machine never actually goes into sleep where the white led is blinking on and off.

Anyone experiencing this? Thought it might be something related to power nap even though this model does not actually support that feature.

13. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

I never put my mini to sleep, so I haven't noticed any sleep problems.

Are you using third party software to put your mac to sleep using a hot corner?

Under Mountain Lion, the only hot corner option I saw related to sleep was display sleep (see attached).

Attached Files:

14. Huge125 thread starter macrumors member

Huge125

No third party software, your screen shot is what my system looks like. I'm pretty sure the options have changed from Lion though. In Lion the description was slightly different which was "put computer to sleep" where it actually entered sleep mode instead of just turning the monitor off.

Not a big deal since its not like the Mini is a power hog, but I was kind of use to it the old way. The more I play on the system, the more I like it. It actually feels like a smoother overall experience. I'm pretty happy with the operating system thus far.

15. ningmoss macrumors newbie

Mac Mini Late 2009

I have a mac mini late 2009, with 120 GB SSD and 8GB ram. It runs really fast but since I installed Mountain Lion, but at least once a day finder keeps crashing. I'm really frustrated by this, as I can't backup my docs because the backups take longer than time between crashes.
    The upgrade process killed my HD, hence the shiny new SSD. Would recommend full backup before upgrading!

Originally sophos antivirus was crashing the machine, but upgraded to latest and that stopped (or maybe it hasn't?- perhaps I should remove Sophos AV altogether?)

Anyone else with similar experience?

16. Mikesus macrumors 6502

I haven't run any antivirus and haven't had any issues... I would suggest a clean install tho, the wonkiness I had went away when I did that. It did take FOREVER to restore from my timemachine backup over the network so if you have a lot of stuff, don't do it when you need the machine a few hours later.

17. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

That's software really isn't needed.

At least for stability sake, you may want to remove it.

18. Bunyak macrumors member

iPhoto has had some instability since I upgraded my 2010 Mini. When I tried to scroll through pictures within an Event, it kept displaying the same one picture. iPhoto also crashed on me for the first time. Also, Plex continues to crash on me occasionally as it did with Lion.

Otherwise, I find that ML is a fair bit faster than Lion.

19. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Just installed it here on my 2009 mini late edition. Very smooth update. No issues. The intensity of my printer problems seems to have decreased quite a lot (still same driver) with HP 1022. The UI animation is also smoother than before. Overall I'm quite pleased.