Mac mini 2010 - Ready for NMT / 1080p ?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by nemrod, Sep 20, 2010.

1. nemrod macrumors member

nemrod

Hi,

I'm looking for an NMT to replace my PS3, indeed i'm fed up with :
    1. Converting MKV files
    2. Using WiFi instead of putting a HFS/NTFS external hard drive.

Initialy i was looking for a dedicated one, like the Divco Tvix 6600 or the Popcorn Hour C-200 but now i'm thinking of buying the new Mac Mini instead.

THE question, does the 2010 Mac min is able to decode, using PLEX or XMBC, 1080p files with high bitrates ?

In another way, does the Mac min is able to do, at least, the same job that my PS3 ?

Thanks

2. calvy macrumors 65816

I just picked up a new Mac Mini, the $699 model, and am using it as my media center PC for my living room. I run Plex, and I have a giganews subscription which I use to download bluray rips in 1080p and I've never run into any issues whatsoever. Just to note though, I am pushing this through a wired gigabit network, not wireless.

But the Mini seems to be plenty powerful to decode and play the mkv's on the fly.

3. MarkG21 macrumors regular

Curious, how long does it take to d/l a blu ray rip off giganews and, typically, how big are the files?

4. Rad macrumors regular

Raw Blu Ray Files

Besides playing MKV files fine, I can even play without problem the original raw .m2ts video files from a direct backup of my Blu Ray discs from the Mac Mini hard drive. Running XMBC to a 65" Panasonic 3D 1080P display with incredible quality.

5. calvy macrumors 65816

1080p is roughly 8GB file size and 720p is about 4 or 5GB. I have a 17Mbps cable modem and it takes me about an hour to get an 8GB file.

6. nemrod thread starter macrumors member

nemrod

Thanks for your answsers, my MKV files are around 10 Gb with an average bitrate of 15 Mb/s.

7. nemrod thread starter macrumors member

nemrod

Another question, is there any way to start and stop the mini without keyboard / mouse, like a NMT ?

8. DaveNinja macrumors 6502

DaveNinja

a logitech harmony remote seems to work well with it.
    i've been having more luck with XBMC than Plex on my 2010 macmini. netflix and hulu wont run for half an hour without crash plex (but run fine in their stand alone apps/websites).
    also i had some stuttering problems with plex that i didnt have with xbmc.

9. nemrod thread starter macrumors member

nemrod

You mean that you can turn it on/off with the harmony ?

10. DaveNinja macrumors 6502

DaveNinja

i never turn off the mini so i;ve never tried.

11. calvy macrumors 65816

I have an old Xbox 360 Logitech Harmony remote that I still use, and it turns on and off the mini. I hit "Watch Mac" from my activities, and it loads up the TV and all inputs and I'm back at my Plex screen.

And sorry, I'm not real sure how to tell what bitrate my movies are at. But if you are downloading from newsgroups, I'm sure mine are similar to yours.

12. nemrod thread starter macrumors member

nemrod

Last question, what about the speed of the hard drive, not too slow ?

13. Osamede macrumors 6502

- Iphone with airmouse app and airmouse server installed on the mini
    - Logitech harmony TV remote (can learn the remote codes)
    - VNC client on your iphone
    - VNC client on your PC
    - I'm sure there are many others

But the Mac Mini runs like a max of 10 watts at idle - max. Why even bother to turn it off at all? Your AV receiver or TV probably consumes more power while "off".

14. nemrod thread starter macrumors member

nemrod

Yes, i'am aware of iPhon XMBC and PLEX app too.

You'right, i'll try. Thanks.

The last point is, do i need to choose a 7200 for external movies storage ? Indeed, the internal drive is a 5400.

15. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Don't worry about spin-speed. 5,400RPM is plenty fast enough. Indeed, 'slower' drives are usually quieter, which is a beneficial consideration re movie playback.

One comment, if I may; from the description you've given of your files' size and bitrate, you'll be absolutely fine with the Mini as an HTPC. However, if you were ever to start ripping Blu-rays, yielding files of 30GB+ with bitrates of 40Mbps+, don't rely upon those files working flawlessly without re-encoding them. They *may* work (I've not used the 2010 Mini as an HTPC...), but the 2009 Mini couldn't hack it.

16. nemrod thread starter macrumors member

nemrod

Hi,

Yes, i have in mind that a 5400RPM is slower but quieter, i'll test before thinking of buying a new external in 7200RPM / FW800. Indeed, i have fanless enclosure with 5400RPM, 7200RPM can require fan.

I'am interested in HQ 1080p, means high bitrate, but i have a PS3 for BRD so wont DL BRD files.

Thanks.

17. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

I don't download either, buddy. I rip from my own discs. I have a PS3 also, but I have all of my video files on a central media server - for the sake of convenience.

Like I said, maybe the 2010 Mini can do it all. If anybody here can say one way or the other about that, I'd be interested to hear it.

18. Baby Mac macrumors regular

Baby Mac

Apple Remote

Apple Remote [Add $19.00]
    Control your Mac from afar with the sleek aluminum Apple Remote. Play, pause, adjust volume, move forward and back, and access menus while playing music and video.

19. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

20. nemrod thread starter macrumors member

nemrod

Of course i know, i have one ;)

I have a LOEWE LCD and i saw few days ago that i can use it to control PLEX replacing the Apple remote.

I didn't see the software on the Loewe site, only W$ version.

Any ideas ?

21. nemrod thread starter macrumors member

nemrod

Hi,

I have received my mini last friday, it's a wonderfull machine.

I have a question, actually i'am using an external enclosure (USB, eSATA, FW400 et FW800) to store and acces my videos.

I have two WD Green caviar (1,5 Go), one inside the enclosure and a second on, without any enclosure.

I would like to use the second drive in a 2 bay enclosure but the on i found is only on USB. Is it enough with 15-20 Go movies ?

Thanks.

22. gogojuice macrumors member

I don't know what a GO movie is..

But I have a usb 2 TB western digital green drive.

Runs 1080p res. However.. these are not true 1080p.. there only about 8gb in size.

Hope that helps

Cheers

23. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

I have a 2010 mini with 8 gb ram. Connected by FireWire is an OWC 2 disk inclosure. I get frame drops/sync issues watching movies through iTunes. My movies are on a 2tb drive. Also, using HDMI to connect to a Dell 24 inch monitor. Figured it should play fine this way but it doesn't. The movies are ripped from my DVD collection with handbrake for apple tv settings. But, when I stream to my apple tv, no problems. Not sure why.

24. nemrod thread starter macrumors member

nemrod

Go for Giga Octo, means Giga Bytes.

I d'on't have real BRD but RIPS, arounde 15 GB.

25. nemrod thread starter macrumors member

nemrod

Maybe your problem comes from iTunes, right know with Plex everything is quite perfect.