Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
It's good to see so many new people getting Macs these days (myself included). I think MacMini's sig is right...I can't see myself going back to a PC.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
It's good to see so many new people getting Macs these days (myself included). I think MacMini's sig is right...I can't see myself going back to a PC.

Yeah more and more people are going to Mac now. A Primary school in my town has gone from PCs to giving their students 1 to 1 Mac laptops and my highschool is going to bring in Macs this year:D

Though if they get too popular viruses will start getting made for Mac OSX:(

Undo Redo

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
Colorado, USA
I think Apple should finally kick hdd to the curb and migrate the mini to SSD. I know some people will be put off by the smaller storage, but in the end consumers will be better off
Why put a luxury SSD in a budget Mac mini? Most people are completely satisfied with the speed and larger storage of hard disk drives. SSDs would just increase prices unnecessarily. (BTO would be fine.)

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Why put a luxury SSD in a budget Mac mini? Most people are completely satisfied with the speed and larger storage of hard disk drives. SSDs would just increase prices unnecessarily. (BTO would be fine.)

Why have CPU and ram options as these will also make the mini more.

I'm sure a SSD would give more performance then RAM and CPU upgrades in many situations

With a SSD the mini is a fast server

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
Why have CPU and ram options as these will also make the mini more.

I'm sure a SSD would give more performance then RAM and CPU upgrades in many situations

Apple is trying to keep the price of the Mac Mini as low as they can/want. Adding an SSD as standard would increase the price exponentially. It would only make sense to make it a BTO option just like how you can BTO a 2.66GHz processor and a 500GB hard drive.

Undo Redo

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
Colorado, USA

You're right, a SSD might be faster in a server where lots of files are being opened and saved.

SSDs do increase performance for certain tasks (opening/saving). I'm not yet convinced the performance gain is worth the cost. I guess it depends on the kinds of things you're doing most with your computer.

After a program and file are loaded into RAM, performance gains with an SSD are only seen if there are frequent and considerable modifications (save and re-save) to a large file you're working on. If the file is small, a hard disk will do just as well as a SSD.

For the kind of stuff I do, the cost of a SSD is not justified by the few seconds daily it saves opening and saving files and programs. There sure is a lot of hype surrounding them though. :)

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010

My Mini, when I buy it, will be my first Mac.

I can't afford it until April, at the earliest. If something more powerful becomes available in the meantime, I'll happily snap it up... in Fantasy Land, if a Mini were released with an i5, a Radeon 4850/70, a 1TB drive and 8GB of RAM, I'd crap myself for it.

I have a spare pair of pants in place for this eventuality. But I really don't think it'll be called into action.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Apple really needs to build a super Mini if you will , we have many that have been screaming for this for years and years and with the advent of HDTVs it makes perfect sense. Im on the fence having returned a couple of yellow iMacs. Why Bother with iMac might as well get a HDTV and have it hooked up to a super Mini.

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
Apple really needs to build a super Mini if you will , we have many that have been screaming for this for years and years and with the advent of HDTVs it makes perfect sense. Im on the fence having returned a couple of yellow iMacs. Why Bother with iMac might as well get a HDTV and have it hooked up to a super Mini.

Apple will only give us a 2.66GHz "super mini." :mad:

Undo Redo

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
Colorado, USA
Apple really needs to build a super Mini if you will , we have many that have been screaming for this for years and years and with the advent of HDTVs it makes perfect sense...
I don't know if the current Mac mini can be considered "super" but it's certainly more than capable of doing anything I can imagine connected to my HDTV.

I have two 2009 minis. The slower one is under my TV and the faster on is on my desk. The one on my desk replaced a 2008 Mac Pro to save space and money. I don't miss the Mac Pro at all.

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Why Bother with iMac might as well get a HDTV and have it hooked up to a super Mini.

I think you've answered your own question there, dude. Apple won't release a 'Super Mini' because they want us to buy iMacs.

I agree with you completely, from a personal point of view. Give me something powerful in the Mini form-factor (making allowances for physical factors, the obvious one being heat...), and I'll jump at it. Even if it were as expensive as an entry-level iMac, I'd go for it.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

I can't afford it until April, at the earliest. If something more powerful becomes available in the meantime, I'll happily snap it up... in Fantasy Land, if a Mini were released with an i5, a Radeon 4850/70, a 1TB drive and 8GB of RAM, I'd crap myself for it.

I have a spare pair of pants in place for this eventuality. But I really don't think it'll be called into action.
Not going to happen ....
Not this year.

Apple will only give us a 2.66GHz "super mini." :mad:
Maybe, but if they are going to refresh the Mini by end-2010, it could use an i5 ....

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Yeah, I'm aware of that. But any step in that direction would be warmly received, by me.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Yeah, I'm aware of that. But any step in that direction would be warmly received, by me.

that is the direction ;)

But remember that Apple don't want the Mini to be in competition with the base iMac, their "core business" in the home computing market

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
I would like to see 3+ghz minis with a decent graphics option. That
is pretty much all I am hoping for right now. I have a 2.26 ghz mini
that I upgraded and love it, I use it in my design and other classes even.
When I do jump, it's going to be for at least a 3.06ghz mini with (hopefully)
a better graphics option and 8 gigs of ram. I may put an SSD drive in it
too. We'll see. Then this Mini is going under my tv.
=)

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK

Ah that would be amazing. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your new mini :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.