Mac mini 2011 and HDMI Audio only question

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by rohizzle121, Oct 30, 2011.

1. rohizzle121 macrumors newbie

Hey guys I am interested in buying a Mac mini i5 with the intel hd 3000. I have a home theater receiver (onkyo rc270) which is plugged into my projector that I use for movies and tv shows. When I am just browsing the Internet and listening to music like to use my monitor while outputting my audio to my receiver so I can use my home theater speakers. I currently do this successfully with my windows desktop. I was wondering if this was possible with the Mac mini. I would use the hdmi to my receiver and thunderbolt (aka mini display port) to my dvi monitor? My projector is only a 720p res and my monitor is 1920x1080. I don't know if having two different res makes a difference but I thought I should mention it.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Does your receiver have an optical audio port? If so, you don't have a problem, regardless of whether the HDMI will work as audio-only, since the Mac mini has optical audio output.

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Yes you should be able to do this as long as the correct input on the receiver is selected. You just have to set your audio out to u hdmi. Also yes you can use different resolutions but only if not using mirroring. If mirroring then use the lowest resolution device.