• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

mrkapqa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
Hello ,

i was thinking of Upgrading the MacMini to a i7 model and would like to continue using Snow Leopard on it.

There is a guide described here on how to achieve this

but it involves another mac with i7/i5 which i don't have at disposal and also the need for an original recovery disk with 10.6.

Does someone know and care to share a more easier way to install Snow Leopard on a MacMini5,2, maybe by extracting the only driver part for the i7/i5 processors from a newer 2010 MacBook Pro / Imac Model and adding it to a Retail DVD installer of SnowLeopard?

I am hopeful somebody has already done this here.

Thanks

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
I have a dGPU 2011 Mac Mini sitting around that's supposed to eventually replace my '09 as a Snow Leopard system. Haven't as of yet found a working download link for the missing display drivers. The post here seems to be the most commonly referenced guide.

Comment

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
I used a 2011 quad core i7 mini running Snow Leopard for 7+ years. Eventually upgrading to High Sierra, then replacing with a 2018 model.

Are these the kexts you need?

[automerge]1587457675[/automerge]
Hello ,

i was thinking of Upgrading the MacMini to a i7 model and would like to continue using Snow Leopard on it.

There is a guide described here on how to achieve this

but it involves another mac with i7/i5 which i don't have at disposal and also the need for an original recovery disk with 10.6.

Does someone know and care to share a more easier way to install Snow Leopard on a MacMini5,2, maybe by extracting the only driver part for the i7/i5 processors from a newer 2010 MacBook Pro / Imac Model and adding it to a Retail DVD installer of SnowLeopard?

I am hopeful somebody has already done this here.

Thanks
Try this thread. The information worked for me nearly a decade ago...although I admit I can't quite remember all the steps I used...

Last edited:
Comment

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada

Thanks for the share, but they wont work in my case. That's just for the Intel graphics models, while mine has the AMD discrete graphics option.

I did finally manage to get the original download link working, seems that the provided url is a format no longer supported by the file host.

[automerge]1587875731[/automerge]

Last edited:
Reactions: Spectrum
Comment

mrkapqa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen

Possibly, thank you very much for sharing :)

I'd still have to wait for a proper offer as second-hand prices are still high - best bet was around 160 USD but with Shipping and Customs it was again 220 Euro. Not to say that i would'nt pay that but paying customs for second hand is a bit scammy - but sometimes one has no other choice (eg. some Sony products are not even sold officially in Europe like the Digital Paper if i am not mistaken)
Was also thinking of a i3-2018 but for my needs (mostly very basic tasks and sometimes converting recorded tv-streams) the i7 2011 should be perfect; hope to secure one soon before they start to fall apart.

Have you been able to use Bluetooth 4.0 on SL or did you need to use a trick for those aswell?

Last edited:
Comment

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Possibly, thank you very much for sharing :)

I'd still have to wait for a proper offer as second-hand prices are still high - best bet was around 160 USD but with Shipping and Customs it was again 220 Euro. Not to say that i would'nt pay that but paying customs for second hand is a bit scammy - but sometimes one has no other choice (eg. some Sony products are not even sold officially in Europe like the Digital Paper if i am not mistaken)
Was also thinking of a i3-2018 but for my needs (mostly very basic tasks and sometimes converting recorded tv-streams) the i7 2011 should be perfect; hope to secure one soon before they start to fall apart.

Have you been able to use Bluetooth 4.0 on SL or did you need to use a trick for those aswell?
I didn't use Bluetooth on the 2011. I do seem to recall there was a conflict mentioned. In fact I don't believe I ever used WiFi either.

Reactions: mrkapqa
Comment

mrkapqa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
one reason to use Bluetooth 4.0 is to pair with Tablets for Internet Access at higher throughput. (using Internet Sharing from Ethernet to Tablet via Bluetooth PAN)
Bluetooth 2.1+EDR keeps up well, but is sometimes struggling with modern data needs,especially when downloading files or updating apps.
Apple made it a bit difficult to use Ethernet with Ipad (not to mention Iphone) up to the advent of the newest models (but stll need a highly priced adapter to get it functional) - therefore i thought of Bluetooth - but hey, you are right, best is to not use it at all probably.
Actually i dont use Ipad at all (prfer Android 10x) and very many Android Tablets have Ethernet capabilities.

Comment

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
one reason to use Bluetooth 4.0 is to pair with Tablets for Internet Access at higher throughput. (using Internet Sharing from Ethernet to Tablet via Bluetooth PAN)
Bluetooth 2.1+EDR keeps up well, but is sometimes struggling with modern data needs,especially when downloading files or updating apps.
Apple made it a bit difficult to use Ethernet with Ipad (not to mention Iphone) up to the advent of the newest models (but stll need a highly priced adapter to get it functional) - therefore i thought of Bluetooth - but hey, you are right, best is to not use it at all probably.
Actually i dont use Ipad at all (prfer Android 10x) and very many Android Tablets have Ethernet capabilities.
Why not try sharing Ethernet over WiFi? (Or via USB, if you don't mind being tethered?)

Comment

mrkapqa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
ja, that functions also, but i prefer bluetooth, as it keeps radiation-level low and does not take such a toll on my neighbours.

USB did probably function over Iphone sometime ago, but not so much on Android (there was always need of considerable *hack* to achieve this, eg. pass Internet from Ethernet connected Laptop or Desktop to Tablet or Phone via USB()
[automerge]1588939708[/automerge]
What do you mean by "being tethered"?

Comment

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
ja, that functions also, but i prefer bluetooth, as it keeps radiation-level low and does not take such a toll on my neighbours.

USB did probably function over Iphone sometime ago, but not so much on Android (there was always need of considerable *hack* to achieve this, eg. pass Internet from Ethernet connected Laptop or Desktop to Tablet or Phone via USB()
[automerge]1588939708[/automerge]
What do you mean by "being tethered"?
Yes that is what I mean. On MacOS you can share the Ethernet connection via WiFi, Bluetooth, or by thunderbolt or USB cables. I do this at work to connect iPad to my wired Ethernet connection in Mac mini 2018 because WiFi signal is too poor.

Comment

mrkapqa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
for the ipad there is a newer adapter available from company b which apparently allows also charging at the same time next to ethernet functionality.
saw the info here (used video as a reference on how to achieve internet over ethernet on ipad's; sadly, won't function with the ipad1)

[automerge]1595189456[/automerge]
info on the ethernet adapter is in the description for the video above;

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.