Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

earwax69

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
The Apple adapter (dual-link) dont work with my dell 3007. (funny because dual-link is dual-link. All the other brands work flawlessly) However I was aware it would not work. If you want compatibily, go PC, no kidding. Way less trouble.

unfrostedpoptar

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
The Apple adapter (dual-link) dont work with my dell 3007. (funny because dual-link is dual-link. All the other brands work flawlessly) However I was aware it would not work. If you want compatibily, go PC, no kidding. Way less trouble.

Strange. It worked fine driving a Gateway XHD3000 30" 2560x1200 monitor from my 2010 MM. I use DP now - anyone want to buy my dual-link adapter? I would go funny once in a while, but unplugging the adapter from the MM and plugging it back in fixed it.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
What are you talking about? I've got the current MM Server with the HD3000 and a u2711. $5 Displayport to Mini-Displayport cable. Done. Works perfectly. Why are you trying to use HDMI?

----------

Never had that problem with mine.

...Yeah my cable arrived this morning and I'm finally getting full resolution :)

I was using the different adapters available to me to see what would work, hence why I listed my failed attempts. I'm kind of new to this and never used displayport before. I've been a laptop user for the past 6+ years and the only time I've had to deal with an external monitor was with my old Dell 20" which uses DVI. None of this faffing about with adapters either.

Sorted though, couldn't be happier with the result :D

Last edited:

konkrypton

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
Independence, MO
Also working fine with an Acer 23" (S232HL) LED monitor. Direct HDMI connection, 1080p resolution.

I have (probably) the same monitor, bought it last month from Best Buy. Here's the rub - I just bought a new Mini (Intel HD 3000) and am using HDMI to connect to the monitor. I had to choose 1080p (the monitor's native res is 1920x1200) and adjusted the over/under scan so that the dock and menubar show up.

Problem is that some text looks blurry. The monitor isn't as crisp at 1080p as it was at 1920x1200 and using HDMI I can't get the higher res.

I'll try the DVI adapter and report back.

konkrypton

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
Independence, MO
Yep. That solved it. Now why does it work with the DVI/HDMI adapter and not with a straight HDMI cable?

Sheesh. I love ya Apple, but you make it hard sometimes...

BigMa

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
HP ZR30w 30-inch S-IPS LCD Monitor with Mac Mini

I am currently using HP ZR30w 30-inch S-IPS LCD Monitor (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/382087-382087-64283-72270-3884471-4194577.html?dnr=1) with my Alienware Aurora PC and am wondering if this Monitor will be compatible with Mac Mini using Displayport to Mini-Displayport cable.

Will I get my Monitor’s Native Resolution of 2560x1600 at 60Hz with Mac Mini?

What Mac Mini hardware / software configuration would you recommend me to order, please? :)

JohnnyComeLatly

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
Avol (military AAFES brand)

I'm in Afghanistan and bought a 32" Avol LCD on the way over and the Mini drives it fine. As mentioned the menu bar was 1/2 gone, but a simple overscan configuration later and it's perfect. Over scan also follows all inputs so re-shaking didn't change. I plugged it into HDMI ports 1, 2 and 3 without readjusting.

Also running a XBOX360 into the VGA input in case anyone wonders.

And no, working 12 hours a day (or more) 7 days a week, I don't watch too much...but when I do it's great.

dcoulson

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2010
Yep. That solved it. Now why does it work with the DVI/HDMI adapter and not with a straight HDMI cable?

Sheesh. I love ya Apple, but you make it hard sometimes...

Probably nothing to do with the Mac - When you connect via DVI, it likely disables all the image processing features on the TV. If you connect via HDMI and turn sharpness all the way down and some other options it'll look the same.

konkrypton

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
Independence, MO
Probably nothing to do with the Mac - When you connect via DVI, it likely disables all the image processing features on the TV. If you connect via HDMI and turn sharpness all the way down and some other options it'll look the same.

I kind of doubt it. The resolutions offered in HDMI mode aren't as high (nor as crisp) as when I use the DVI/HDMI adapter. But you have a point, in that the monitor must decide "I'm connected via HDMI, max res is 1080p" but in DVI mode it offers more options.

That's fine. The mini seems happy with the monitor in DVI mode, and the monitor seems happy as well. Just thought that HDMI would get me a better picture but it seems not to be the case.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
I have a staples 19 inch with 4 usb ports on the side via hdmi to dvi. Forget the model number.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
You can fix this by disabling OVERSCAN or turning off A/V MODE (switch to PC mode) on your monitor.

With DVI, overscan is turned off, which is why that works. With HDMI, it's turned on, hence the blurriness and other issues. Disabling overscan/av fixes the problem with HDMI connections.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Bought a mid 2011 base model mac mini and connected it to my 5 year old 40" Samsung LNT4053 via HDMI. I was having a couple of problems including an enjoying flicker (the screen would go black for a fraction of a second) a few times an hour. The second problem was when I would reboot, I'd occasionally get that dreaded " Your Computer Was Shut Down Because Of A Problem" error message.

I ended up buying a Thunderbolt to VGA cable from Monoprice last week. No more problems! I'm shocked that would fix the reboot error message problem, but it did! Any ideas why?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.