Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buckeyes1995

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Anyone using Mac Office 2011 with a Mac Mini (Server preferably) and a 27" ACD?

The display of course if beautiful.. but scrolling and working in office is not near as snappy as my windows machine. I'm wondering if it's due to being on the edge of the server's Intel graphics at 27"?

Scrolling with Firefox and a lot of other programs is just fine.. but in office, particularly Excel, it's a little sluggish (by no means horrible.. just laggy).

Thanks.

Cmd-the-World

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
I don't have Office installed on my Mini but I have Office installed on my iMac and the software lags on scrolling. The problem is that the software is slow not the hardware. The Office for Windows is way better than the Mac counterpart in terms of performance.

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
Not slow for me

I have a server with 8gb of 1600 mhz RAM and the Thunderbolt ACD. I haven't noticed any lagging -- just scrolled an Excel doc with 1600 entries, 6 columns, and it scrolled as fast as I could move the mouse. I suspect the amount and speed of RAM on the server makes a big difference.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Office for Mac is a necessary evil for me and does not run well on my Base 2011. What I really hate is that Excel is single threaded and thus doing large computations means I just have to wait and wait and wait. Oh well. Stuff happens. And yes Scrolling is rather slow. While I don't use an ACD, I do use two 1080P monitors on it and it is rough. I work with 10,000+ row spreadsheets and it just annoys me to death. I wish I would have picked up the Mid-range Mac Mini (and maybe even upped it to the i7) instead of relying on the intel HD3000 graphics.

Buckeyes1995

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
I have a server with 8gb of 1600 mhz RAM and the Thunderbolt ACD. I haven't noticed any lagging -- just scrolled an Excel doc with 1600 entries, 6 columns, and it scrolled as fast as I could move the mouse. I suspect the amount and speed of RAM on the server makes a big difference.

Hrmm.. interesting.

My Mac Mini 2011 Server is running 16GB RAM and an M4 SSD.

I'm going to install Excel on my Windows 7 parallels and see if its simliar.

Buckeyes1995

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
I installed Office on on my Parallels Windows 7 VM.. and sure enough, it flies almost like my dedicated windows box.

Odd that the Mac dedicated version runs so much worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.