Mac Mini 2012 base model as a media center questions

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by marcello696, Oct 23, 2012.

1. marcello696 macrumors regular

I'm looking at getting the base model for a HTPC that will stream content from my NAS.

I was dead set on getting the mid level model but after today's announcement is an i7 quad core cpu really needed for this purpose?

figured I'd save $200 and upgrade the RAM to 8gb and have a solid media center with some transcoding of high bitrate .mkv blu ray rips to Plex media clients and maybe a little bit of gaming for things like Portal 2 but nothing harcore (got a gaming PC for that).

the dual core i5 should be able to handle this and no need for SSD since Im streaming over gigabit from a NAS correct?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, any Mac mini made in recent years can easily do what you describe. You don't need the new model for that.

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Not only will any recent Mini do the job, but you also don't need to upgrade the RAM to 8GB. I've got two minis I use as media centers, both base late 2009 models with 2GB of RAM, even bought refurbished!

You might want to even consider not just a base refurbished model but even pick up a used one.

4. marcello696 thread starter macrumors regular

thank you everyone! looks like the refurbs are sold out, I'll just buy a new one, dont want to mess around with buying a used one without a warranty.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you want a refurb, you can use refurb.me to be notified when they become available. All Apple refurbs come with Apple's 1 year warranty and qualify for AppleCare.

6. fa8362 macrumors 65816

More refurbs will be available by next week. They don't last long though.