Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glasgood

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012

Update 04 March 2013, HDMI Fix for Crushed White's etc..

OS X thinks the monitor is a TV, and is using the YCbCr colour space rather than RGB. You have to override the EDID setting to force the RGB colour space for the monitor to work correctly.

A Fix for the HDMI issue is to Force RGB mode in Mac OS X to fix the picture quality of the external monitor.

Full details on how sort this is http://ireckon.net/2013/03/force-rg...ix-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor

Thanks to Andreas Schwarz for the script and Mathew for sharing this.
Mathew has provided info on how to apply the fix see link above.

Feedback welcome on this :)

Hi,

I know some people on this forum seem to have no issues with the HDMI port on their Mac Mini 2012 when connected to a display.

However there are a large majority of people who are still experiencing crushing whites, the problem is seen when you open up a folder and view files as list. When files are viewed in list you'll notice that you can not see the light blue rows that appear.

After exhausting various calibration and OSD settings and trying various cables including genuine Apple HDMI to HDMI and HDMI adapters the problem still remains.

My solution:

I contacted Apple and eventually after 20 minutes of preamble was passed to an Apple senior advisor.

The senior advisor sent me out a Moshi Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter but the problem still persisted. I then called back again and this time was sent an Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA.

Using the Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter my display is perfect, no more crushed whites and rows in lists can now be seen.

During my call, I did point out to the senior advisor about this being a HDMI / intel 4000 driver problem with the 2012 mini. He did not comment on the problem, but his action to resolve the issue indicates this is something they are happy to temporarily resolve till 10.8.3 update is released.

Last edited:

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
Great that you could find a solution.

However it's quite pointless to drive a full HD display using VGA, just because Apple can't get a simple feature like a HDMI port right.

So we can only hope that they can fix it with some software patch.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Using the Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter my display is perfect, no more crushed whites and rows in lists can now be seen."

With all due respect, many posters right in this forum could have told you that weeks ago.

To anyone else reading this: if you are connected to your monitor via the Mini's HDMI port, and you are having problems with the display, try connecting via the MiniDisplayPort. The problems are likely to disappear.

glasgood

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Great that you could find a solution.

However it's quite pointless to drive a full HD display using VGA, just because Apple can't get a simple feature like a HDMI port right.

So we can only hope that they can fix it with some software patch.

Agreed, yes it's pointless to drive a full HD display using VGA.

Credit to Apple as they agreed to supply the adapters at their expense till 10.8.3 is rolled out. Once 10.8.3 rolls out I shall switch to the Apple supplied Moshi Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and enjoy the full HD display experience.
:)

glasgood

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
try connecting via the MiniDisplayPort. The problems are likely to disappear.

Try connecting via the MiniDisplayPort to what may I ask?

Connecting your Mac Mini 2012 from MiniDisplayPort to HDMI and your problem will reappear not disappear.

Just to be clear, connecting your Mac Mini 2012 via Mini DisplayPort to HDMI will not resolve the problem you will still have crushed whites etc.

With all due respect, many people still buying mac minis are unaware of this problem. So no harm in a refresh of the subject even if it was discussed weeks ago!

Last edited:

imobber

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2009
I'm waiting for 10.8.3. In the meantime I downloaded something called gamma control and used that to adjust the display settings. I think I found a link on these forums but if anyone wants a link I will try to dig it out when I'm next on the mini. It makes things better but I wouldn't say it is perfect.

glasgood

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
I'm waiting for 10.8.3. In the meantime I downloaded something called gamma control and used that to adjust the display settings. I think I found a link on these forums but if anyone wants a link I will try to dig it out when I'm next on the mini. It makes things better but I wouldn't say it is perfect.

I originally gave gamma control a try and combined it's use with Shades.
It did help a little but as you say not perfect.

Here is the link for >Gamma Control<

and >Shades<

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Did they give any indication on when 10.8.3 will be rolled out or is that a big secret like all things apple?

Btw: If you are new to this and not sure what blue lines we refer to, open a finder window with a list of files. Then open another window and move it over the files. In the "shade" from the second window you will see the lines.

glasgood

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Did they give any indication on when 10.8.3 will be rolled out or is that a big secret like all things apple?

Btw: If you are new to this and not sure what blue lines we refer to, open a finder window with a list of files. Then open another window and move it over the files. In the "shade" from the second window you will see the lines.

No they never gave me any indication of when 10.8.3 would be ready, typical Apple they like to keep everything secret especially this HDMI thing. :)

FranciscoM

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Hello

Bougth a displayport to hdmi cable to plug my 2012 mac mini to a dell u2312hm, but it doesn't show image, it just appears message entering power save mode.
Does any one have the same issue?

PS: can i connect a mini displayport cable to thunderbolt port?

Thanks in advance.

glasgood

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Hello

Bougth a displayport to hdmi cable to plug my 2012 mac mini to a dell u2312hm, but it doesn't show image, it just appears message entering power save mode.
Does any one have the same issue?

PS: can i connect a mini displayport cable to thunderbolt port?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Francisco,

I dont, but your best to go with one of the following:

Thunderbolt / DisplayPort to Displayport
or
Thunderbolt / DisplayPort to DVI

The DisplayPort can be connected to the Thunderbolt port.

At the moment it's best to avoid using the HDMI connector on your mac mini 2012 till 10.8.3 is rolled out. :)

spookle

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
Well, I just got a brand new mac mini today. Connected by a mini display port to hdmi cable and it's not very good. I don't get greys eg like the grey box you are supposed to get round your gmail log-in. I hoped I might have got lucky and got one that did colours properly on hdmi.

I don't know if I will return it or what. I will ring Apple Care. I am hoping that they will send me a free mini display port to vga adapter.

I don't have any dvi cables but I might buy a mini display port to dvi cable.

Hopefully Apple Care will respond well since they know about this issue.

It's disappointing. I don't know if I'll get random black screens because I haven't had the computer on long enough.

FranciscoM

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Hi Francisco,

I dont, but your best to go with one of the following:

Thunderbolt / DisplayPort to Displayport
or
Thunderbolt / DisplayPort to DVI

The DisplayPort can be connected to the Thunderbolt port.

At the moment it's best to avoid using the HDMI connector on your mac mini 2012 till 10.8.3 is rolled out. :)

Hello and thanks for your help

I will try to be more specific about the problem: at this time i have the following video connection on my mac mini to the Dell u2312hm monitor, DVI to HDMI to DVI Adapter, bundled with the Mac mini but i want to eliminate the adapter, becose it's unaesthetic and that was the reason that i bougth the displayport to hdmi cable. Through a google search i've learned that the problem may rely on the cable itself, becose it is not a DisplayPort + (DP+), therefore it has no electronics and it does not convert to hdmi correctly.
Im thinking in buying a displayport to mini display port and use the thunderbolt port to solve this issue, what can you tell me about this option?
I can also inform that i have no problems with the current cable configuration (DVI to HDMI to DVI Adapter), just like i wrote, wanted to eliminate the adapter.

PS: sorry for any typing errors, im Portuguese and dont like to use translators.

glasgood

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Im thinking in buying a displayport to mini display port and use the thunderbolt port to solve this issue, what can you tell me about this option?

Francisco, yes best to go with displayport to mini display port, connecting the minidisplay port to your Thunderbolt port will resolve the issue.

So you then have Mini displayport connected to your Mac Mini's Thunderbolt port and the Display port connected to the display port on the monitor.

spookle

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
I have just spoken to Apple Care (in the UK). They admitted that this hdmi/crushed whites was an ongoing (intel related) problem for some people that they were hoping was going to be fixed by the next update.

I asked him to send me a mini display port to vga adapter in the meantime which they are going to do.

Although I still feel a bit unsure about keeping it in case the next update doesn't fix it.

I guess I have thirteen days to decide.

Last edited:

spookle

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
Have people with these ongoing display issues had any success with a mini display port to dvi cable?

glasgood

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Although I still feel a bit unsure about keeping it in case the next update doesn't fix it.

I take it you mean the Mac Mini, supposedly it has been reported that the beta version of 10.8.3 fixes this issue.

I'm using DisplayPort to VGA at the moment on my Dell S2440L, it's a massive improvement. You can always return your mac mini for a refund ( if you can ). Then if the issue is sorted you can then buy a new one. If it's not fixed then your options are open at least you may have the cash refunded.:)

spookle

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
Yep, the mini. True, I could return and then buy a new one at some point if the issues do get fixed.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
adjust tv settings

i noticed this problem a little bit with my new mini while looking at the apple store online. At the bottom of the page they show a bunch of adapters they sell. all of them are white and i could hardly see them on my vizio hdtv. I decided to mess with the tv's settings. I got a huge improvement by lowering the contrast level almost all the way down and by turning "off" the ambient light sensor. I can now clearly see all the white adapters

spookle

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
I can't see pictures of white cables properly on eg amazon. But messing around with settings hasn't helped - and the more you change it to see them just makes the rest of the picture look wrong anyway.

Also I had no real luck with calibration like eg gamma.

Dan156

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
I just wanted to add that by using the 'Expert Mode' under System Preferences > Displays > Color and adjusting the colour on my 720p television at the same time I was able to get Finder lines showing. Gmail login window shows as well. The colour is a little too cool for my liking but it's a possible work-around till 10.8.3 finally drops.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
However there are a large majority of people who are still experiencing crushing whites, the problem is seen when you open up a folder and view files as list. When files are viewed in list you'll notice that you can not see the light blue rows that appear.

I wondered what was meant by "crushing whites". I thought it was a lack of grey scale, although I gather this is similar (blue patterns in iTunes or the Finder, for example). I remember having that problem with my old PowerMac when I got a new monitor. Careful calibration eliminated the problem.

I think I had a similar problem with my Insignia TV/Monitor with the Mac Mini. Again, turning down contrast plus very careful calibration (took like 10 times to get it to match another monitor plus adjusting the tint setting on the TV/Monitor; otherwise it would NOT match).

I'm getting the feeling that Apple's calibration program is part of the problem. Frankly, it sucks compared to NVidia's simple to use calibration setup in Windows.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
The problem was immediately solved when I switched from an HDMI connection to a MDP/TB - VGA cable. It's really quite shocking that Apple seem incapable of writing decent HDMI drivers. :mad:

:apple:

JamSandwich

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
I'm at the point where the issues is resolved for me (using a pair of DVI cables for my screens), but I hope the people who are experiencing this and desire an HDMI output will report back with the next OSX update. This was a big issue for me when I bought my Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.