Mac Mini 2012 maximum number of monitors/resolution

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by seron, Dec 26, 2012.

1. seron, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012

seron macrumors newbie

Is there a credible source to what the maximum number of monitors and resolution the Mac Mini 2012 can support?

In my case I have two non-Apple monitors connected to a MacBook Pro 2012:

a Dell 2560x1440 by DisplayPort
    a HP 1680x1050 by USB (DisplayLink)

Would a MacMini be able to drive this setup, and would it be able to drive a HD-TV 1080 on top of that?

2. Soondae macrumors member

Soondae

Your Macbook and the mini support the same spec's, if you truly want to run multi monitor support at full 2560 X 1440 resolution, then your only real alternative is to purchase Thunderbolt displays run on thunderbolt interface which will allow for simultaneous use as they are run in serial.

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

See table footnote (4):

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5219?viewlocale=en_US#dispnum

One could argue Apple is not credible, as limitations are often proven to be wrong in actual use (for example memory limitations). But I will take their word until proven otherwise.

I see no reason why your setup wouldn't work, as USB displays are not part of Apple's equation.

4. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

How is the performance of the DisplayLink?

5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I'd go to the Displaylink support forums before buying: http://www.displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Supposedly the OS X 10.8.3 beta has fixed the issues people were seeing, but I'd wait until the actual release of 10.8.3 before I'd trust it enough to purchase anything.

6. Jpellarin macrumors newbie

I'm running 3

I don't know the max, but I am running 3 monitors (none are thunderbolts--one USB and two off the other mentor ports) on mine, without ANY problems whatsoever.