Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Interesting thread as in another similar one I started in the buying advice forum last night, I was confidently informed that iMac is the minimum required for photography and a 3TB fusion drive as well. I don't think 27" is right for me either, so a non-apple display is more likely.

Like others, I'm a little wary about buying an all in one and having to upgrade the whole thing.

How easy is upgrading the mini with an SSD and user-installed RAM? I upgraded a few PCs in my previous life.

Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Interesting thread as in another similar one I started in the buying advice forum last night, I was confidently informed that iMac is the minimum required for photography and a 3TB fusion drive as well. I don't think 27" is right for me either, so a non-apple display is more likely.

Like others, I'm a little wary about buying an all in one and having to upgrade the whole thing.

How easy is upgrading the mini with an SSD and user-installed RAM? I upgraded a few PCs in my previous life.

Check out ifixit to see what is required to add an SSD. It's a bit difficult, but not too bad (easier than an iMac!). As far as the RAM, that's simple and very easy to do (no different really than any laptop).

Obsidiank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
So I decided to keep the 1TB drive in the mac mini as a second drive, and I keep current year pics on it. Everything else is achived on my NAS.

I keep a working folder on my SSD, so basically I will edit current jobs on my SSD and then once I'm happy with the final pic count, I will move it to the hard drive.

Thank you for your post.. Your configuration is exactly what I was looking to get myself.. 2.6 i7 with SSD 256 and I will buy the 16GB of ram aftermarket as its much cheaper. I am currently a windows user with lightroom 4. I have about 29,000 images in my library (266GB) and find my quad Q6600 has seen better days.. I am assuming you have your library on an external drive. Did you go a thunderbolt drive? If so, what kind?. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.