Mac mini 2012 ssd upgrade - internet recovery issue

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by tamachan3, Dec 30, 2014.

1. tamachan3 macrumors newbie

I've just upgraded my 2012 Mac mini with a 250gb Samsung Evo ssd. I've got it hooked up to my TV via an HDMI cable and was going through the internet recovery of mac osx onto the newly formatted ssd drive. Some way through the osx download (maybe 20 min or so? Not sure as I left the room) I've lost output to my TV, so now cannot see whats going on / what progress is with the download.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Should I wait to see if the picture comes back, or try doing a hard reboot? Originally the estimated download time was something like 6 hours..

Appreciate any help! Thanks

2. tamachan3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just found a thread below describing a similar issue. I would delete this one but don't know how!

3. kanewtz macrumors member

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

What worked for me was simply unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable.

5. thepixelpusher macrumors regular

thepixelpusher

Was this a SSD that you fused with a hard drive? I'm wondering because I just want to add a SSD to my Mac Mini without doing the Fusion hack. I hope by cloning/moving my OS right to the SSD, before I even start it up, I'll have the "internet recovery" option still available.

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

If you add a new SSD and copy the OS to it then you won't need internet recovery.
    If you leave the old drive and leave it in its original position then the mini should boot off of the old drive as normal.
    Then just go into settings and change the startup drive to be the new SSD.
    After you're booting off of the SSD you can then erase your old drive