Mac Mini 2012 upgrade components/accessories

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by askj, Nov 4, 2014.

1. askj, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014

askj macrumors newbie

Hi,
    In general I am new to mac world, I started using macbook air two years back, just as a normal web/iphoto user. I just bought a mac mini 2012 i5 with 4GB and 500GB hdd. I installed xbmc on this and planning to use as media center. I installed yosemite also, I noticed that it is using very high RAM.

I want to install a 16 GB RAM and either 256 GB or (512 GB, only if I get it at really good price) SSD.

I read lot of forums and it is all over the place and I am not able to understand which RAM/SSD I should get.

I heard that there are issues of TRIM with yosemite, and some people are saying that do not use TRIM at all.

There are some deals coming through for Crucial m500 mSATA and PNY. I read about SSDs in general and people are recommending samsung evo 840 and above, I do not know which one will work and be good with mac mini? Basically I am looking for something decent and long term.

Now regarding putting SSD into mac mini, Should I take the gut to put it inside or running through USB is also equally good?

I also want to know which wireless small keyboard/mouse will be good for this, as it will be there near the TV, so I want smaller version of keyboard

2. cinealta macrumors 6502

Get the 16 Gb Mac Mini RAM kit from Crucial. You don't need this much for a media center though. Yosemite uses all available RAM even if your system isn't currently using it.

Get the 512 Gb Crucial MX100 SSD (don't get the Samsung 840 EVO at this time, there is an issue with the firmware).

Put the SSD inside the Mini (SATA connection is faster than USB)

Yes there is an issue with TRIM on Yosemite. Check the TRIM manufacturer website for any possible workarounds.

Get the Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse trackpad.

3. Bollockser macrumors regular

I've got the same machine, and going to soup it up with dual 500GB SSDs, the EVO 840 has issues? Please detail...

4. askj thread starter macrumors newbie

5. cinealta macrumors 6502

Ok

6. askj thread starter macrumors newbie

So Crucial MX100 and Samsung 840 evo is out for anyone to buy?
    Which ssd should I be looking at?

7. henryonapple macrumors 6502

samsung already released a firmware fix, so why not go with the evo? i just bought a 500gb evo for 209

8. askj thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,
    Where did you get samsung evo for $209? Also I checked Crucial 16GB RAM on Amazon and it says that there are some problems reported and they are suspending the sale.

9. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

what about the new Evo 850? is this compatible with the 2012 mini?

10. henryonapple macrumors 6502

i bought from amazon about 4 days ago

11. askj thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I think I can get Samsun Evo 840 with my discover points from Staples. Do you think that this is a good drive?

Also what about the memory?

12. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

If you use the SSD alone or in a Fusion Drive, OS X uses the SSD as a cache, and that means it needs a) good flash memory (MLC or 3D V-NAND) and b) good firmware for the best possible read/write performance. Or in other words you need a Samsung 840 Pro or 850 Pro.

----------

I see no problems with this Mac mini 2012 memory:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008LTBJFW/

This memory has also good reviews on other amazon sites amazon.co.uk, amazon.de, amazon.es

13. askj thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh,
    So ideally I should be okay with 256 GB drive if I am using as fusion with the original drive. Since this will be my media PC. I have a Synology NAS attached for the content, correct?

Also will this memory be good?
    Memory for MAC

----------

Thanks for the reply, There was a note in the morning, they might have removed it now.

14. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Yeah, even a 128 GB SSD is sufficient in a Fusion Drive.

If you read the reviews on amazon, you see that many people used this memory in their Mac mini 2012 without problems.

15. askj thread starter macrumors newbie

Answered

Thanks a lot!!

16. ZipZilla macrumors regular

17. Darby67 macrumors 6502

I've had relatively decent experience with their SSDs, but it seems to be a mixed bag. My last Merc Extreme Pro 6G just died out of warranty and I'm not sure how much their are innovating at this point. My most recent purchases have been Samsungs and Crucial: they both seem to be innovating to one degree or another and I just feel better putting my money with a name brand with these.

18. Skibba macrumors member

Same question. People have poo poo'd the MX100 which up until now I'd heard was the go to SSD for the Mac Mini.

19. cornerexit macrumors regular

Stick with Crucial or Samsung. I'm not new to IOS but Mac OS and their computers I'm new, reading, learning, etc. I bought a Crucial 128gig 550 series SSD for the OS, and a Samsung 850 EVO SSD for data storage. I know it's overkill and I might return the Samsung and use the 1TB HDD the mini came with for file storage but I would stick with the forum recommended stuff. You can get a 128 gig 550 (crucial) from newegg for $86. That's pretty cheap. The OS and programs don't need that much space so like said above, 128 is all you need. Use the HDD that came with it for file storage or upgrade that one too to a SSD also now or at a later date.

I'm himming and hawing returning the Samsung. Dual SDD's might be overkill for the mini.

20. askj thread starter macrumors newbie

Ram & ssd

I bought Samsung 840 pro 256GB SSD. I am planning to buy the RAM. I came across following
    http://www.staples.com/Crucial-Tech...Pin-SO-DIMM-Laptop-Memory-16GB/product_141501

http://www.staples.com/Crucial-16GB-2-x-8GB-DDR3-204-Pin-SO-DIMM-DDR3-1600/product_IM1PV2564

Both looks same. I have staples gift cards and I can get price matched with New Egg or any other website. So are these same and work with mac mini?

When installing additional SSD, can I get some link on how to setup the OS etc?

21. macaron95 macrumors regular

22. scottsjack macrumors 68000

Crucial makes so many models of RAM I cannot keep them straight. It's like HP products at HP, Newegg and Best Buy. The stuff looks the same but seems to have different model numbers. Confusing.

I ordered Crucial p/n CT2K8G3S160BM from B&H last February. The RAM was working fine in a 2012 2.3 quad until I stole it for my new 2012 2.6 quad a couple of weeks ago. I've got another set coming for the 2.3 on Monday.

There is not setup needed. With the mini off you install the new RAM, that's it. When it boots up it accepts and uses the RAM. Occasionally "just works" really does just work, no thinking required.

CT2K8G3S160BM is $140.00 well spent.

23. Dizzler macrumors regular

For install guides, you could try YouTube or ifixit.com.

24. JimT1701 macrumors member

I am looking to get an Apple SSD off eBay for my 2012 Mini. I bought a Toshiba/Apple SSD for my MacBook Pro a few months back but the Toshiba ones are only SATA II. I was looking on eBay and they have Samsung/Apple SSD drives that claim to be SATA III. Does anyone have the Apple part numbers for the Samsung SSDs so I can be sure I am not getting scammed?

The Auction I am looking at has the following part number SAMSUNG MZ-5PC5120/0A1

Can anyone confirm this is infact an Apple part?