Mac Mini 2014 first night

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Tarken, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Tarken macrumors newbie

I just got my first ever Apple computer! I ordered the cheapest 2014 mac mini from apples refurbished center. I am finding the machine to be rather sluggish and not particularly great :(

I only have about $500 to spend and this was $419, so I thought it was worth a shot. Thinking about returning it within the 14 day window so I can look into something else. I am not sure what the issue really is. I wanted to play Dota 2 with it, and it meets the system requirements to play it, but it is SUPER choppy on the lowest graphic settings. This only have 4GB of RAM and the 1.4 GHz processor, but to go up to the next level up it was around $600. Not sure what I should do. Can you guys give any tips or advice? I am thinking of perhaps just looking on CL or Ebay or something? I don't have to play games, but when I have a few minutes free, I do enjoy it. What am I doing wrong?

2. boast macrumors 65816

boast

3. Tarken thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not seeing any around my area for sale and all the ones on eBay are like $650+. Is that the normal price? Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

They're sold out of 2012 refurbs.

----------

No, they're getting quite rare and I'm glad I got mine when I did. However, the 2014 is still perfectly fine for basic tasks even with 4 GB RAM, and the integrated GPU will outperform even the high-end 2012s which all used the same integrated GPU.

Edit: You do get quite a performance jump going up to the next model, so that may be worth it for you.

5. Tarken thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, that was helpful. I found that they have this for sale near me, sort of (http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/syd/4839578006.html). Its older and cannot go to 10.10 I would imagine, but it has two processors and probably can be upgraded on RAM. Is that something worth looking into? I just don't know anything about these machines. And it seems like maybe getting a used one provides much better value.

I am going to see if I can find one of the 2012 or 2014 middle tier computers (apparently it has "Iris" graphics, whatever that means)

If I could get that for $550 or less, I'm down.

What do you think about that?

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Only get a Mac Pro 1,1 if you're prepared to deal with the hassles of having such an old machine and/or really need the expandability/upgradability. Otherwise the Mac mini would still out-perform most aspects of it just because of the age difference.

Yes, the mid-range 2014 Mac mini would be a good choice as it provides ample RAM (8 GB) and a CPU/GPU boost.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

8. P00t macrumors member

The Mid Model is perfect for me, I wouldn't touch the low end model, especially with the 4GB memory.

Keep your eye out for the mid model and add an Blade SSD in the future and you'll be good for some years while Apple sort out a Quad.

Bonus about Mac Mini's is that you won't lose a fortune when you want to update to another model in the future.

9. Tarken thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it possible to add a SSD to the new ones? Or do you have a 2012 one?

10. P00t macrumors member

It's easier to add a Blade SSD in the 2014 than add a standard 2.5" since you don't have to remove anything, but the Blade SSD's are abit more pricier since you have to buy the following:

http://www.applecomponents.com/item...1?pn=10&cat=Service Parts: Cables&per_page=30

Good guide here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=20562190&postcount=61
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=20562190&postcount=62

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

I very strongly suggest monitoring your system while you play games and run tasks.
    You should determine exactly what specs you need before buying another Mac or otherwise you are just shooting in the dark.

12. Gym Hellwig macrumors regular

That is terrible advice.

The 2012 has a much worse graphics card (something that is important to this user) and will be overpriced due to replaceable ram and HDD.

His/her best bet is to get the next model up of 2014 mini with 8gb ram and iris graphics.

Although I personally would never buy a computer without an SSD in 2015.

13. Tarken thread starter macrumors newbie

I am keeping my eye on refurb store for another one of those. Is the iris graphics much better?

14. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I have a MacPro1,1 under my desk, serving as an object to fill an opening I don't want my cats to go through. For this job, it does great. There's not much else it can do, though, that a modern machine can't do in a much smaller footprint and consuming much less power.

- Using it to stop your cats from going behind your desk: Works great.

- Using it for high performance computing: Not anymore, sadly.

They're also useful as doorstops and cheese graters.

;) (I'm joking around, please don't kill me ;) )

15. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Sounds good if that will be $500 in the refurb store.

16. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Lord, no.

Even the 2014 Haters' Society would sooner have the current base model.

And with that ad, specifically, doesn't the cursory spec/description put you off? It doesn't even say which processor it has.

17. Tarken thread starter macrumors newbie

No problem. That's why I am here talking to you guys! I don't really know much about this kind of stuff. Trying to learn and get something good!

18. ricktat macrumors 6502a

Are you in the US?

Go to your local post office and ask for a "movers packet" You don't have to move or fill out anything... they will just give you one.

Next pull out the Best Buy 10% off coupon and wait for the mid-model to be on sale.

$679 right now less 10%= $611 right now.

I bought mine when it was $649 a few weeks ago and with 10% was $584.. Still more than $500 but getting closer.

19. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

I would buy a PC for 500 $, especially to play the game you mentioned.

An AMD APU (A8-A10), 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD, Windows 8.x.

Or Intel config, like a Pentium G3xxx + min. Radeon 7750, R250 or better (or similar nVidia), 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD, Windows 8.x.

20. Tarken thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for this! I am going to look into this right away!

21. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

Mac Mini 2014 first night

I have the low end model too. I know what the problem is. It's the 5400rpm hard drive in that machine. Swap it for an SSD and you'll see a massive difference in speed.

I can actually use my mini now. Before it was totally unbearable. Been there.

22. Altis macrumors 68000

SSD is absolutely essential. 5400RPM drive is dismal for a desktop. The MBA has the same processor as the base mini but feels fast due to its flash memory.

Even a 5-7 year old computer will be faster (with general navigating, opening programs, etc) provided it has a decent SSD.

23. Tarken thread starter macrumors newbie

How did you put in a SSD?

24. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

Now that's the bad news. Apple made it extremely tough to change the hard drive in these new models (but it's doable) but be prepared to take everything apart. If you have no experience, get someone that has experience to do it for you.