Mac mini 2014 with AppleCare

catracho504

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2018
Hi,

I have the base Mac mini 2014 model with applecare until 2020. I bought it last year and now I am having problems with random resets.

My question is: If I Take it to the Apple Store, Will they send it to repair or it will be fixed in the store?

Sorry if the question is silly but I am new using applecare.

Thanks

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
They might run some diagnostics on it and see if it is something that can be fixed in the store or if they need to send it out. I had to get the display replaced on my 2012 retina MBP (burn-in) and I brought it to the store and that's what they did. They ended up sending it to a service center but it only took a few days.

You might want to try and give AppleCare a call though as they could come and pick it up. This happened with me when the power supply broke on my Thunderbolt Display. They picked it up and I had it back in two days.

Whatever you do, make sure you have a backup of your data before you bring it in for service.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

catracho504

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2018
So, if the diagnostics don't show anything I assume they will send it out. :(

I really need the mini for my daily work and I hoped it could be fixed there.

staggerlee41

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Contact AppleCare, describe your problems and let them walk you though troubleshooting. If it has to be fixed, explain to them that it's an inconvenience for you to make multiple trips to the store and wait for it and that you need to have it returned ASAP.

I did this when I had a problem with an expired MBP. Call Monday afternoon, shipping box arrived Tuesday before noon, shipped out Tuesday afternoon, MBP returned Thursday before noon.

I paid for it but it was well worth it to me.