Mac Mini 2014 Won't Power On after SSD Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by rbokajr, Mar 16, 2015.

1. rbokajr macrumors newbie

I replaced my Mac Mini 1TB drive by first cloning it and then running it via USB for a while (until the TR6 and Logic Board Removal Tool came in the mail.) Today, I went to install it internally... I took it all apart and put it back together... When I went to power it on, nothing happened, no power, the fan seems to try to spin when I hit the power button, but doesn't continue to spin and also nothing else comes on.

Anyone experience this or have suggestions? I've tried putting the stock drive back in, but still the same thing. Could I have fried the logic board somehow?

2. Attonine macrumors 6502a

You say the fan tries to spin. This indicates there is power. Check all connections. My immediate thought is that there is a loose connection and this is causing the Mini to shut down immediately to prevent damage. Are you sure the HDD or SDD is firmly connected to the SATA socket? Sometimes these can be very tight, so make sure you seat the drive firmly.

3. rbokajr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. I've checked and was pretty confident. I can take it apart again and try again.

There's one thing on the mini that has me wondering... On the carriage that holds the drive, there is a connector that looks to act as some kind of ground. I'm not sure if it should be touching the case or not, but I was wondering if anyone had a thought on this?

4. iMac-Do-You? macrumors member

Take it apart again, and re-trace your steps. Make sure everything is seated snugly, paying particular attention to any cables around the areas you touched, and also make sure no cables are interfering with any fans when reassembled. You may have inadvertently dislodged a cable (there are some tiny cables/plugs which you may not notice at first glance).

I recently replaced a Fan in a Macbook Pro, which would not start up after reassembly. Turns out I had not reseated the memory modules fully. So check things like that, too.

5. rbokajr thread starter macrumors newbie

I've done this. I guess my main question right now is, does the tab on the hard drive tray assembly need to be making contact with the case for it to boot properly? That's the only thing that has me questioning why it won't turn on. Is that some kind of ground or hard drive protection?

6. Attonine macrumors 6502a

7. rbokajr thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually followed their instructions on how to do it...

8. Attonine macrumors 6502a

Can't really help anymore. There are some small cables there, it is possible the connectors could have become damaged?

9. rbokajr thread starter macrumors newbie

I've inspected them all. They don't seem to have any kind of breaks, kinks, etc.

10. Attonine macrumors 6502a

Yes, but they are very fine and it's possible there;s something you can't see with the naked eye.

Do you have Applecare?

11. rbokajr thread starter macrumors newbie

I purchased it about 3 months ago, so I still have the initial warranty, but I'd think they wouldn't support it because I tried changing the drive myself?

12. Attonine macrumors 6502a

That wouldn't be too much of a problem if you just slipped the original back in. Can't remember if HDD are considered user replaceable on this model. Looks like you may need to visit Apple, or a service provider, unfortunately!

13. marclondon macrumors regular

I would suspect the DC connector/leads as you have to tug a bit to get the connector out.

M.

14. hal.b macrumors newbie

if you put the original drive back in, does it boot up? if not, bring it into Apple.