Mac mini 2015

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by xmlninja, Mar 19, 2015.

1. xmlninja macrumors regular

Considering the new macbook it should be possible to make a much smaller Mac mini than the current ones? Im seriously lacking a mid tier model with decent ram and flash storage. My Mac mini 2008 still works and its powered on 24/7 but its getting closer to becoming dead for each day but I can't see my self replacing it with a HDD based computer :)

What do you guys want from next Mac mini models?

2. Ice Dragon, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015

Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Essentially exactly what's in the Haswell minis except replace Haswell with Broadwell and add Iris 6100 graphics.

Edit: Quad-core would be nice with Iris Pro 6200 but I doubt it would happen.

3. Fishrrman, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015

Fishrrman macrumors G3

We've seen post after post like the OP's for the past few years here at macrumors.

This begs the questions:
    WHY should the Mini be made any smaller than it is now?
    Is this strictly a matter of style?
    Form over function?
    What about the issue of connectivity?
    How useful is a "desktop" computer that doesn't have enough connections in the back?
    Why buy a "smaller" Mini, if any serious user is going to have to buy a "dock" along with it, just to connect to the thing?

EVERY connector on the back of my own late-2012 Mini is filled right now, with the exception of the SD card slot.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Only way I will update anytime soon is if they bring back a dedicated GPU.

OS and applications are too video intensive for video to be sharing memory bandwidth along with the system. Bandwidth not the amount. It's a bottleneck.

Using the 'U' ultra-low power Intel chips is a joke also, Mini does not have the power restrictions of a battery. It should be engineered to handle at least the 'M' series of more power oriented mobility chips.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Then a Mac Mini isn't for you.

You need a 15" rMBP with 750M, or an iMac with dGPU, or an nMP.

6. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Not so much 'M' but 'HQ' quad-core with Iris Pro.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Both have displays. Adds excess unnecessary cost snd lock in.

8. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

@Menel: We won't see a dedicated GPU in the Mac minis. Ever.

Anyway, I do also hope, that they will upgrade the CPU in the Mac mini to Broadwell or Skylake later this year.
    Or at least it would be nice, if they would update the Mac mini in 2016.

9. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

If Apple did give the Mac mini a discrete GPU, people would say "That's it. That's all they gave? They could have given it this. Apple sucks!"

10. EightyTwenty macrumors 6502

So you're cool with a spinning hard drive in 2015?

11. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Definitely not but unfortunately space trumps speed in the minds of some or at least in the minds of Apple brass. The only reason I haven't gotten the new Mini is because (in my mind) I have to spend $500 on upgrades between 16 GB of memory, 256 GB PCIe SSD, and Applecare.

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You could just go for a 1TB Fusion Drive and 8GB of RAM...which are both reasonably priced.

13. EightyTwenty macrumors 6502

Fusion drive is an extra $225 in Canada, which is completely ridiculous.

14. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I'm honestly not sold on the Fusion drive. I would rather have pure flash and 16 GB of memory even though I don't do anything that memory intensive. On my current mini, I have noticed 8 GB just isn't enough for Chrome and several tabs at once.

15. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Chrome is a piece of crap on OS X. It's a resource hog.

If your RAM pressure is green, you don't need more RAM. Free RAM is wasted RAM, and free RAM values are irrelevant from Mavericks onwards because of RAM compression and caching.

You don't know how much of a benefit FD can be until you try it. For the most part, it's as fast as a pure SSD setup.

16. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Should I instead switch back to FF? I'm used to Chrome so I don't see myself switching back anytime soon. I'm still on Lion honestly. I figure I'll upgrade with my new Mac.

17. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

My hope is that they will continue to keep the mini in the line up for as long as they are selling physical computers. I do appreciate the fact that Apple has a low cost entry point for users to get into the OSX world. I assume though that it will get smaller.

18. Altis macrumors 68000

Chrome is a resource hog on any machine, it would seem.

"Free RAM is wasted RAM," - It isn't wasted. It's excess, at that moment, but not wasted. Wasted RAM would be software that consumes more RAM than it should, like Chrome, or like OS X needing a whopping 3.9GB of RAM on fresh startup idle.

I'm still a fan of the full SSD option so that everything is fast and you have complete control.

19. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

I want a gold 12mm thin core M Mac mini. $299.

20. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

If they do this, I hope they'll introduce a Core i7 Mac Pro with a single GPU for prosumers. As it stands today, the mini doesn't serve that group anymore, let alone if they were to switch to Core M.

But realistically, I think prosumer Mini users will have to get used to the idea of switching to an iMac one day.

21. ziggy29 macrumors regular

Yeah, I think the midrange "prosumer" market has wanted a headless midlevel Mac ever since the transition to Intel. Something with roughly the power of an iMac, but where we don't have to keep paying for new displays, and something that at least some expansion and upgradeability inside, with discrete graphics (preferably with upgrade potential). It's pretty sad that the price points for headless desktops go straight from under $1000 to $3000+ with nothing in between.

22. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

This. Except my sd slot has a permanent resident too.
    Really? It's been done before. I have one.

True. It would never be allowed to compete too strongly with iMac/nMP