Mac mini 2017?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by bardebay, Aug 7, 2017.

1. bardebay macrumors newbie

Is there any update to Mac mini??or they are going to discontinue it?

2. Sandman77 macrumors newbie

3. bardebay thread starter macrumors newbie

Is great.mac is the ones I always wanted and they just cost so....much ,can't even buy it,after seeing the windows.

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

5. bardebay thread starter macrumors newbie

6. MDMachiavelli macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

One of the most disappointing purchases I have ever made in the age of technology was a Mac Mini.

I had a terrible experience with it.

7. bardebay thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes,i also have one.
    Almost broke.but the design kept my hope....for my video editing.any of you recommend Mac or pc for video editing?or laptops??

8. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

There's no reason to believe there will never be a new Mac Mini. There aren't even any rumours about the Mac Mini being discontinued beyond the cynical fantasies of some, and disaffected others who have given up on MacOS and purchased a Windows computer which comes with bragging rights to more recent, and flashier hardware specs.

But do they get a better computer…..? Maybe, maybe not; it depends on requirements, expectations and preferred OS.

Bear in mind also, that Phill Schiller has said that the Mac Mini remains an important part of the line up, which does suggest that a new Mac Mini is almost certainly coming….. and that Mac Mini updates have tended to follow rather than lead the way.

9. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have a 2012 quad core 2.6 ghz mini and it's a great machine for the kind of video editing that I do. Runs Final Cut Pro X very nicely and will probably meet my needs for another couple years. I considered the top of the line 3.0 ghz 2014 mini instead, but my 2012 is 50% faster due to the quad core cpu (which Apple discontinued in 2014).

Hanging your hat on that Phil Schiller quote is very funny... classic example of corporate double-speak. He was backed into a corner by a question about the Mini and of course he wasn't going to say they don't care. But, hey, it's certainly possible there will be a new mini, but it's more a matter of blind faith. With every other Mac that's been introduced, there have been rumors for months in advance. That just hasn't happened with the mini.

Keep on hoping... but that won't help much if you need a new computer now. ;)

10. bardebay thread starter macrumors newbie

So you suggest that I should get the Mac mini? Is it good??

11. Spaniel95 macrumors member

Spaniel95

I personally would hold off, we are due an event in September and possibly one later in October, Macs to my knowledge have been announced in one of these two events in previous years so it may be possible for a 2017 edition to come soon.

12. fricotin macrumors regular

13. Micky Do, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017

Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

It depends on your expectations and what you want to do with it…..

There are plenty who have found the Mac Mini fine for their needs, and there are a few who have been disappointed. One suspects the latter are expecting Mac Pro performance on the cheap, or have a Mini that is under specced for their requirements.

Then there are the cynics who have never owned a Mac Mini, never will, and never miss an opportunity to sneer at Apple.

I wanted an easily occasionally transportable computer, and I didn't want to have to deal with Windows any more. When the Mac Mini came out in 2005 it fitted my requirements, so I got one, the first computer I had owned. I am no power user, like OS X / Mac OS, and the productivity apps that come loaded with any Mac these days (though I paid for iWork when I got the 2009 Mini that I am using at present. I also have Office for Mac installed, but seldom use it these days). A modestly specced Mac Mini has been fine for me for a dozen years now.

However, with some changes in the way I work, and possibly moving into a more itinerant phase of life for a bit, I am considering acquiring a basically specced MacBook Air to supplement the Mac Mini, which will remain my main machine when I am settled somewhere. I am not really into transportable tech, and seldom carry my $25.00 Nokia cellphone. I prefer be off line when I leave my desk.

14. MDMachiavelli macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

That's cool, and I'm glad you did. I just feel compelled every time the subject comes up to tell my personal experience.

I doubt my experience is the same as everyone, but it is still something I should share.

15. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I expect the base Mac Pro to take the current role of the Mac Mini. Apple has said the Pro will be modular, so a base model without the bells and glimmer, likely fits the same niche as the Mac Mini. So whenever that is released, you get a new Mac Mini, sorta, as it will likely be more expensive.

16. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

You have not told us much about your needs, how could we say if it"s "good"? What model mini do you currently have? The 2014 Mini has some good things compared to the 2012 Mini: faster wifi, two thunderbolt 2 ports, better graphics chip, faster internal SSD interface.

However the bottom of the 2014 line mini is slower than the bottom of the line 2012 mini, and the top of the line 2014 mini is slower than the top of the line 2012 mini. So the best value is probably somewhere in the middle of the current line-up. And then you have to consider what you get for your money. If you plan to keep it for very long then you should get 16gb of RAM because you can't ever upgrade it. Now you are getting into a relatively expensive computer, with specs that are something like a MacBook Air (not putting down the MacBook Air, I've had one as my primary all-around computer since 2011).

I was looking at the top of the line 3.0ghz mini with 16gb RAM and 256gb SSD, it was selling for $1400 last summer, have not checked prices since then. That just didn't make sense to me when I could get a used 2012 top of the line machine with warranty from MacSales for less money, especially considering that the 2012 is 50% faster. CPU speed is important for video rendering, my 8 hour renders would take 12 hours on the 2014 Mini.

Now if a 2009 Mini and $25 cell phone meet your needs, then any computer in Apple's line-up will be just fine. Might as well get the base model 2014 mini, you can find them new here in the US for as little as $350 when major retailers have a sale. I also have a base 2014 mini that I use for an iTunes server. It just sits in a cabinet and runs iTunes with homesharing 24/7. It's the perfect machine for that purpose, but I would not want it for an all purpose computer.

17. padams35 macrumors member

The only thing 'good' about the mini is the 1TB fusion drive option which is superior to the current 21.5" iMac 1TB fusion drives. By every other measure the mini is rather stale compared to the new 2017 iMacs and laptops.

Unless you have a particularly need for the mini form factor or already have an apple keyboard and display I'd suggest instead considering either an iMac or laptop.

18. imanidiot Suspended

This hopeful, reasoned response is well put.
    It is also called "Wunscherfüllung", or as we say in English, wish fulfillment.

19. bardebay thread starter macrumors newbie

I will mainly use it for video editing ,final cut pro,and 4k video editing s9metimes.so that is what I need.

20. Boyd01, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017

Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I don't work with 4k video, mostly 1080p24, 1080p30 and legacy 480i60 and 480p30. I suspect you would need to work with proxies instead of the full resolution image. If it were me, I would want a quad core machine for that kind of task and Apple discontinued the quad core mini. You could look for a used quad core 2012 mini like I did. But you may be better served by a quad core iMac or MacBook Pro if you want portability.

If you go with the Mini, you should be looking at the 3ghz model with 16gb IMO. But that will still underperform a quad core machine. You can compare geekbench ratings of the quad iMacs and MacBook Pros with the 3ghz Mini on this site: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-core-i7-3.0-late-2014-specs.html

Just looking quickly at prices from B&H Photo, a 3ghz 16gb Mini with a 2TB fusion drive is $1450.

21. bardebay thread starter macrumors newbie

22. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Terrible experience…. Why so?

23. MDMachiavelli macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

It was either late 2014 or early 2015 when I bought my Mac Mini.

I wanted something to use exclusively with Logic Pro X, and maybe surf the internet from time to time.

Anyway I explained my intended use for the Mac Mini and the person at the Apple Store stated it would work just fine.

Well it didn't. I was told it would be able to handle Logic Pro X and numerous tracts but it could even handle two. It constantly shut down in the middle of recording while recording one tract and playing one.

I called Apple twice and they didn't help at all.

It couldn't even handle the simplest of task on Logic Pro X. I'm not talking about a professional studio with dozens of tracts, I'm talking about in my bedroom with just a couple.

24. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

What mini did you get? Was it the base model 1.4ghz i5 with 4gb RAM and 5400 RPM hard drive? If so, then you should have done better research on what machines would be suitable. That is a very sluggish machine in my experience (I have one that I only use as an iTunes Server).

Regardess, I'm still surprised, maybe there was some other problem? I had a base model 2012 mini with 4gb RAM and it ran Logic 9 without any problems. It also ran great on my 2011 i5 MacBook Air with only 4gb RAM. I only recently switched to Logic X so there may be differences, but I think the requirements are basically the same.

I ran Final Cut Pro X on my base 2012 mini as well and it was fine, although I only worked with SD video. I am currently running Logic Pro X, Final Cut Pro X and Compressor on my 2012 quad i7 2.6ghz mini with 16gb RAM and they are just great on this machine.

And there are several other versions of the 2014 Mini that would have been more than adequate for Logic X. Since the RAM is soldered in place and can't be upgraded later, I would have gotten at least 8gb as well as a faster internal drive (either fusion or pure SSD). However you could certainly put your Logic projects on an external drive too.

Too bad you didn't join this forum before you bought the mini. I'm sure you would have gotten some useful input as to the correct Mini to buy and help with troubleshooting your problems. Sorry, but IMO if you purchased the correct configuration and were more diligent in seeking assistance the Mini wouldn't have been "one of the most disappointing purchases you ever made in the age of technology". :)

25. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

I really, really, really doubt that.

The thermal design for a workstation-monster that the "MacPro - Next Generation" is supposed to be is completely different from what you want for a small and lean machine like the Mini.

The Mini was never about expandability. Never.
    The RAM was accessible at some point, yes (and I suspect it's going to be accessible again, given that even the 21" iMac now has socketed RAM again, although you'll have to tear the damn thing open) - but that's about it.

Not sure if I'd buy one now. It depends on one's expected usage and their own replacement cycle.

If you have a display, keyboard, mouse/trackpad and really just need the computer - go for it, if the price is right.
    Else I'd consider waiting until, well, until there's a new one.

When that might be depends entirely on the nature of the new machine.
    If it's as modular as some people hope it to be, it will not appear before the next MacPro.
    If it's small and lean, they might slip it into the portfolio before Christmas, while nobody is looking ;-)