Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Molfar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2020
I have a stock config Mac mini 2018 / i3 / 8Gb. And as expected, I ran into frequent lose of bluetooth connection with Magic Keyboard and Mouse (both 1 Gen). I checked battery power, and I'm absolutely sure in working capacity of these keyboard and mouse (tested throughout many years with older iMac).

Also, my Mac mini is connected to LG 27UL650-W 4K monitor with USB-C to DisplayPort cable. No other USB-C devices, hubs, drives. Power cord and DisplayPost cable only. Also, Mac mini connects to Internet via home old Wi-Fi 2,4 Ghz.

The interesting part begins here. When I set my display settings to scaled resolution - the bluetooth issues start to appear constantly. Both keyboard, and mouse loose bluetooth connection, reconnect and after a while loose again.

But when I switch display resolution to monitor default, the UI looks pretty large and not the way I like. But in this mode, bluetooth issues goes awayby 99%. In some cases, mouse or keyboard freeze for a while, and this is during some actions related with graphics load (scrolling full screen 4k video, quite frequent UI animations, any computing operations etc)

I wonder how this can be related? Does somebody notices such dependency between bluetooth and CPU (or may be GPU) performance?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.