Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KennyKW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
I have a newly bought Intel-based Mac mini running on Monterey. It doesn't connect to HDMI switches no matter what.
I have a 4K HDMI switch and another 8K 60Hz/40 120Hz/HDR 3-in 1-out switch, both are newly bought just in order to bring it up but no luck.

I used different 4K cables from both the mini's HDMI and Thunderbolt 3 ports, but no luck. The monitor is a Samsung 32" 144Hz monitor.

The problem is, it boots up ok in 2560x1440 mode. However, whenever I switch it to another device and back, it turns to 1920x1040 and firmly stays there no matter what, until the next bootup.

Any idea? Is it that all 2018 Intel-based Mac minis behave so, or is it just me?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 7.08.52 PM.png

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
What model HDMI switch?

Use SwitchResX to capture the EDID of the display without the switch. Then do the same with the switch. Does the Switch change the EDID?

Reactions: phrehdd and KennyKW

KennyKW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
What model HDMI switch?

Use SwitchResX to capture the EDID of the display without the switch. Then do the same with the switch. Does the Switch change the EDID?

It seems that EDID is changed. After switching the monitor is no longer recognized as Samsung but something else.

The left side is before the switching,
Screen Shot 1.png

Monitor,
Screen Shot 2.png

Thanks.

KennyKW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
What model HDMI switch?

I bought two from Amazon.

One is a 3-in-1-out 4K switch, the brand is VWRHAR.
The other is a 3-in-1-out switch with 1 8K/60Hz, 1 4K/120Hz, and 1 HDR port. The brand is YIWENTEC.

VWARHAR 4K 3in1out,
VWRHAR.jpeg

YIWENTEC 8K-4K-HDR,
YIWENTEC.jpeg

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I suppose you could try making an EDID override that uses the real EDID of the TV to replace the EDID of the switch.
Or you can use SwitchResX to add the missing timings from the real EDID to the switch Custom Resolutions list.

KennyKW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
I suppose you could try making an EDID override that uses the real EDID of the TV to replace the EDID of the switch.
Or you can use SwitchResX to add the missing timings from the real EDID to the switch Custom Resolutions list.

Thanks so much, joevt.

I actually returned the Mac mini and exchanged it for a new one. Everything works fine now. Thanks.

tacman7

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2022
I have a 4 x 2 Matrix that works for everything except the new mac mini M1.

It has a dip switch and it's all up is copy EDID of output 1 then set the first pin and it's copy EDID of output 2.

All the other options seem to be about sound routing...

I didn't have a second monitor when I tried it, I'll try the only other setting maybe.

Any help appreciated, Thanks

tacman7

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2022
Ok, this forum works great!, I ask a question then the problem gets fixed.

I tried another reboot and I can plug everything into one thing and not have to use the switch in the TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.