Mac mini 2018 thermal throttling?

mavericks7913

Suspended
Original poster
May 17, 2014
I see some videos that Mac mini cant even reach their maximum speed because of its temperature around 100c.

From this one, it used i7 6 core 4.6ghz but once the temperature reaches 100c, the maximum speed dropped to 3.5ghz.

Same thing with this one.

Fan noise seems to be quiet but the problem is that CPU is too hot. Mac mini 2018 used a desktop CPU chip while the previous version used a mobile CPU chip. I guess Mac mini 2018 is having a serious thermal throttling? Because the maximum clock speed is almost impossible due to its temperature. The fan spins much faster around 100c but it doesnt solve a heat issue.

Any thoughts?

mavericks7913

Suspended
Original poster
May 17, 2014
This has been done to death. Not reaching maximum turbo boost != thermal throttling.
Well Apple advertised that Mac mini can reach 4.1ghz or 4.6ghz depends on CPU models but due to throttling, 4.6ghz seems to be impossible. I still wondered why Apple used a desktop CPU instead of mobile CPU? Still, thermal throttling on Mac computers is quite common these days.

Stephen.R

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
They advertise it as “up to”. If it fails to maintain the base frequency under load, then that is throttling.

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Well Apple advertised that Mac mini can reach 4.1ghz or 4.6ghz depends on CPU models but due to throttling, 4.6ghz seems to be impossible. I still wondered why Apple used a desktop CPU instead of mobile CPU? Still, thermal throttling on Mac computers is quite common these days.
I can get advertised speeds when it is only the CPU working.
The issue is having the CPU AND the iGPU working in sync. This is where the chip really heats up and after digging in, changing thermal paste, running several tests. To me. I think the issue is more to do with the available power than thermals.
Don't get me wrong, thermals play a part but I have my Mac mini where I can be video encoding, no bottom lid, thermal paste changed, fan blowing on it, temperatures stay in the 80s and it will almost NEVER reach over 3.8GHz because the iGPU is also being used to 100% of its use which is pulling around 15Watts or so.

On a task where I only need CPU only I can easily see north of 4.3GHz, repeatedly.

My bet is power delivery is more of a factor at the top of the list.
A very close second being air starved because with the lid is on there is only a very small gap of air that can move through.

I also understand that for THE majority of Minis users, this falls right into what they actually NEED and want. A very small, energy sipping machine that can disappear under a desk or something and not give issues.
The one's that notice are normally ones that will create a "normal test. scenario" which isn't normal at all for that particular machine and then point out it's limitations.
I do this to because I enjoy testing and then troubleshooting if I can improve or fix something. Some do it for their own particular reason. That really doesn't matter to me.
I just believe number one:
Apple is still Apple, this is not going to change.
Expecting them to change, you might as well expect that crazy, bitter, relative to change their ways out of nowhere.
Apple builds for the masses, for Professionals last. THat's it. For them, that is where the money is. Stop caring.
So if what they offer isn't for you, do some yourself a favor and find something else to be happy with your dollars spent rather than caring at all if a very specific computer will get hot under certain circumstances.
[doublepost=1543466029][/doublepost]
Can you explain why those YouTubers are getting 3.5ghz at 100C not 4.1ghz?
Yes.
[doublepost=1543466100][/doublepost]
Max Turbo Frequency
Max turbo frequency is the maximum single core frequency at which the processor is capable of operating using Intel® Turbo Boost Technology and, if present, Intel® Thermal Velocity Boost. Frequency is measured in gigahertz (GHz), or billion cycles per second.

You have to understand that Intel is MARKETING to people with Turbo Boost frequencies. Marketing.
Pulling you in.

Is Gilette the best a man can get?
Is Brawny the Quicker picker upper?
Is Quilted Northern Ultra Plus just nicer than any other Toilet paper on your actual hole?
Ever had a one-night stand?
You were the product

The main or base clock is their fact. Max is theoretical under certain conditions.
Expecting perfect performing conditions for all things ever is leading yourself down a path of every thing letting you down and never being happy with ..well, anything.

Having high expectations is probably the worst thing you can do to yourself in almost any term.
High standards are different and you have to understand the difference.
An expectation of a 6core CPU working to 4.6 GHz in a computer under right conditions....can be a reasonable thing to ask for.
Asking for a 6core CPU to hit 4.6GHz in such a small, small form factor under non-ideal conditions. It isn't happening. And expecting it to do so is to force it to then let you down.
Like a relative saying this restaurant I am taking you to has the absolute best steak in town, and you love the hell of out steak, then on that night they cook it wrong 3 times in a row. You never go back.
Expectations of that perfect steak (or whatever) killed it for you because you were being unreal. It wasn't going to happen for you. What YOU wanted wasn't going to be achievable but were expecting it to happen.

Just understand it and move on, to another product, another restaurant, another car, another house.

If a baby Mac computer lets you down in life, then my friend. I will apologize now because way, way more **** is incoming that is going to just simply devastate you and you have to get in the right mind set to deal with it.

Last edited: