Mac Mini 2018 with Dual 5k (eGPU)

WillO95

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
So I have a question, and I'm hoping someone here could answer the question! Unfortunately I don't have the required hardware to test this.

The Mac Mini only officially supports 1 5K display. But if you are using a blackmagic eGPU, could a second 5K be used? Total overkill setup in the making, but would like to know before I go out and make a ridiculous purchase!

Thanks!

rmdeluca

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2018
So I have a question, and I'm hoping someone here could answer the question! Unfortunately I don't have the required hardware to test this.

The Mac Mini only officially supports 1 5K display. But if you are using a blackmagic eGPU, could a second 5K be used? Total overkill setup in the making, but would like to know before I go out and make a ridiculous purchase!

Thanks!
Yep, the eGPU can drive a monitor independent of the iGPU. If you get an enclosure and put your own consumer card in there, you can drive multiple 5K displays directly from it.

Reactions: the future

mrvo

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2018
Yep, the eGPU can drive a monitor independent of the iGPU. If you get an enclosure and put your own consumer card in there, you can drive multiple 5K displays directly from it.
There is no other eGPU option on the market beside Blackmagic's that can drive the LG Ultrafine 5K due to the TB3 connection, other 5K options are dying out already.

If OP runs the 5K over iGPU at 2x or native scaling then it's ok. Make sure you plug the 1st monitor to the 1st/2nd TB3 port and the Blackmagic's to the 3rd/4th port. They are two separate TB controllers, only one controller can support enough bandwidth for the 5K at a time.

WillO95

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
There is no other eGPU option on the market beside Blackmagic's that can drive the LG Ultrafine 5K due to the TB3 connection, other 5K options are dying out already.

If OP runs the 5K over iGPU at 2x or native scaling then it's ok. Make sure you plug the 1st monitor to the 1st/2nd TB3 port and the Blackmagic's to the 3rd/4th port. They are two separate TB controllers, only one controller can support enough bandwidth for the 5K at a time.
Yea I had assumed it would have to be a bit like the iMac Pro (port 1 &3) 1 being the 5K, and then 3 the blackmagic with a 5k in daisy.

It's a shame that Apple don't really offer much help on the matter (but what else would you expect from them ;))

rmdeluca

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2018
Yep, I should have clarified specifically w/r to the UltraFine 5K (5K3K). In that case he'd be driving one display with the iGPU and the other one with the eGPU. This is because the UltraFine quite idiotically doesn't include dual DP inputs. It IS actually a dual DP 1.2 monitor, both links are carried over the TB3 connector. If we're talking about the LG UltraWide 5K (5K2K) though, it can be fed via DP 1.4, hence my comment about driving multiple monitors from one card.

They are two separate TB controllers, only one controller can support enough bandwidth for the 5K at a time.
Yeah, again if we're talking about the UltraFine 5K this is because the iGPU only has three DP 1.2 links and 5120x2880 needs two of them.

Last edited:

thirdsun

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2018
This is the only other 5K monitor I know of. 27 inch and supports dual DP inputs, so could be powered by any suitable eGPU solution: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-iiyama-xb2779qqs-s1-5k3k-ips-monitor-5120x2880-4ms-440cd-m2-80m1-displayportx2-hdmix3-silver
I’d be wary of that display. The few reviews I saw suggested that you get what you’re paying for...and judging by the cheap price (for a 5k display) that’s not a lot. Countless dead pixels according to user reviews and those 6 bits (+2 frc) of color depth would make me stay away.