Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dudeslife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
Mac Mini 2020 base model $799 for Adobe PS and Premiere Pro? These would be the most demanding apps I use and only one of them at a time. Can the 3.6GHz quad-core 8th-generation Intel Core i3 processor with 8 gb RAM do it? Thanks for any info.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Lots of problems reported with only 8gb of RAM. The integrated graphics use 1.5gb of system memory, which does not leave much for anything else. When you run out of memory, virtual memory will do a lot of swapping to the SSD. Since the SSD is so fast, that might not be a big issue in and of itself, but constant disk access generates a lot of heat, which can cause the processor to slow down. IMO you should get at least 16gb.

Get a refurb from Apple's site, that will save you about 15%. They have all different configurations but they sell very quickly, so you need to check constantly and buy the one you want when it appears. Took me over a month, but I got exactly what I wanted and saved a lot. :)

Reactions: Digital Skunk

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Lots of problems reported with only 8gb of RAM. The integrated graphics use 1.5gb of system memory, which does not leave much for anything else. When you run out of memory, virtual memory will do a lot of swapping to the SSD. Since the SSD is so fast, that might not be a big issue in and of itself, but constant disk access generates a lot of heat, which can cause the processor to slow down. IMO you should get at least 16gb.

Get a refurb from Apple's site, that will save you about 15%. They have all different configurations but they sell very quickly, so you need to check constantly and buy the one you want when it appears. Took me over a month, but I got exactly what I wanted and saved a lot. :)

All of this is accurate.

@OP: you're going to want to at least up the RAM as much as possible. That Core i3 will also make you hurt a bit too since Adobe doesn't put rendering and exporting video on th GPU (and can't since the Mac mini's GPU is integrated) so you'll be relying on that Core i3 for the heavy lifting.

For Premiere, your biggest headache will be working with some modern video formats. Compressed video, even HD, is actually harder to edit with since the computer has to uncompress it. So depending on your workflow, it might be in your best interest to transcode your footage into Apple ProRes if it isn't already in that format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.