Mac mini 2gig ram?

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
Maybe this sounds a little crazy right now, since a 2gig chip costs over $400, but from a technical standpoint, is it possible?

2gig chip

The only chips I can find right now are Registered. That might be a problem, since I wouldn't expect the mini to accept ECC ram. You can google around and find 2gig chips from pretty much every big manufacturer.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
gammamonk said:
Maybe this sounds a little crazy right now, since a 2gig chip costs over $400, but from a technical standpoint, is it possible?

2gig chip

The only chips I can find right now are Registered. That might be a problem, since I wouldn't expect the mini to accept ECC ram. You can google around and find 2gig chips from pretty much every big manufacturer.
Mumblemumblemumble only been asked and answered about 4 times so far mumble

Yeah, it's a problem. The Mini doesn't take Registered RAM, ECC RAM, Stacked RAM, or RAM physically taller than 1.2"

There is no compatible 2 Gb module for the Mini.

Now, as opposed to other machines, the Mini technical specs, although they don't list 2 Gb RAM as compatible, they don't completely close the door on it. One way to read the specs is that the memory controller could read high density devices, if someone were to make any. But we can't know because nobody yet makes a high density chip that would allow a non-stacked Non-ECC non-Registered 1 Gb module that would fit the Mini.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Comment

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
CanadaRAM said:
Mumblemumblemumble only been asked and answered about 4 times so far mumble
Oh really? Sorry dude. I searched the forums for "Mac mini 2gig" and nothing relevent came up. Guess I didn't see those posts. But thanks for the info, sounds like in the near future we'll be able to do some power mini'ing. I'm actually more excited about an intel mini. If they up the GPU to something reasonable, a Pentium M with 1 or 2 gigs of ram will rock!

Oh to load XP and play Duke Nukem Manhatten Project just one more time...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.