Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decryption

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Has anyone been able to get this working on any Apple Silicon Mac with 4K 120Hz RGB 10-bit?

I've managed to get my M1 Pro MBP connected to an LG C2 OLED 42" TB at 4K 120Hz, but not with RGB and only at 8-bit colour via a DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 cable connected through a Caldigit TS4 dock.

Will do more fiddling with EDID and BetterDisplay, but this is very bloody annoying compared to on Windows where it "just works" via the Nvidia Control Panel.

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2021
Has anyone been able to get this working on any Apple Silicon Mac with 4K 120Hz RGB 10-bit?

I've managed to get my M1 Pro MBP connected to an LG C2 OLED 42" TB at 4K 120Hz, but not with RGB and only at 8-bit colour via a DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 cable connected through a Caldigit TS4 dock.

Will do more fiddling with EDID and BetterDisplay, but this is very bloody annoying compared to on Windows where it "just works" via the Nvidia Control Panel.
Can u show screen information on LG Screen when pressing Green button 5 times or more.
I tested a lot of things in EDID Information but can not get it work over 4:2:2 4k 120hz.

Iam not 100% Shure but I think we have to use only 1 TB4 Port and then connect a 48 Gbit Adapter direct to the TV to get RGB 4k 120hz or 4:4:4. Using a Dock will Limit the Bandwidth because another things are also in use then like LAN or other USB Devices.

Attachments

• Bildschirm­foto 2023-02-09 um 21.04.34.png
    Bildschirm­foto 2023-02-09 um 21.04.34.png
    82.2 KB · Views: 81

decryption

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
IMG_3007.jpg

That's at 120Hz - but I can't get it into 10-bit RGB at 120Hz, only at 60Hz and only 8-bit RGB:

IMG_3005.jpg

I think you're right about the lack of bandwidth. My local electronics store has a USB-C to HDMI 2.1 cable I will go pick up this morning and try out. It won't work via the dock, but I can plug it directly into the MBP itself and should get a full 40GBit/s out of it. Each of the USB-C is a TB4 port on the MBP M1 Pro with 40gbit each, yeah?

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2021
View attachment 2156752

That's at 120Hz - but I can't get it into 10-bit RGB.

I think you're right about the lack of bandwidth. My local electronics store has a USB-C to HDMI 2.1 cable I will go pick up this morning and try out. It won't work via the dock, but I can plug it directly into the MBP itself and should get a full 40GBit/s out of it. Each of the USB-C is a TB4 port on the MBP M1 Pro with 40gbit each, yeah?
Ok that looks not good on ure tv. Iam on 4:2:2. 8b Is only show because HDR is not enabled. U can enable it on BetterDisplay or Mac Display Settings. My TV Switch between 3L10 and 4L10. I think because it can not correctly sync with full Bandwidth.

Yes all of them has 40 gbps.

I also test to disable HDR on EDID Side and Also disable 4:2:2. But this End in result of RBG 8b. But normally when HDR is disable it can reach 8b 4:4:4 or RGB 8b. I think it's because the bandwidth Limit. It does not get more than 32 gbps and this is also not enough to reach it, because it needs 32,08 Gbps. So the Adapters and Dock Fakes the 4L10, in real world it does not have this bandwidth. In my case the TV thinks it get 4L10, in this Case there is no reason why it can not show RGB 8b or 4:4:4. The only reason is, that this Information that the TV get is not correct. And this is the reason why it shows 4L10 but only can show 4:2:2 8b because this only need about 22 Gbps.

Attachments

• IMG_3303.jpeg
    IMG_3303.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

decryption

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Ok that looks not good on ure tv. Iam on 4:2:2. 8b Is only show because HDR is not enabled. U can enable it on BetterDisplay or Mac Display Settings. My TV Switch between 3L10 and 4L10. I think because it can not correctly sync with full Bandwidth.

Yes all of them has 40 gbps.

I'll report back in about 2 hours with how I go :)

Reactions: AironMan

decryption

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I come with bad news - this cable doesn't make much difference!

I reset the TV's settings and reset BetterDisplay back to defaults. Set the TV's input to PC mode and enabled 4K Deep Colour.

By default macOS won't give me any options above 60Hz and neither would BetterDisplay.

Recaptured the EDID using BetterDisplay, changed it with AW EDID Editor to support EDID 4, Video Input Definition -> Interface (1.4) to DisplayPort and disabled the non-RGB colour encoding formats in the Feature Support section. Uploaded the custom EDID with these settings and 120Hz RGB 10 still doesn't happen.

IMG_3015 Large.jpeg

IMG_3012 Large.jpeg

I imagine there's a bandwidth issue still. Doesn't seem possible to get RGB 10b 120Hz 4K out of any Mac that doesn't support HDMI 2.1 as TB4 doesn't have the bandwidth for it.

Alan Spiegel

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2023
Wacken 2013
I got this with:

"Cable Matters 48Gbps USB C to HDMI 2.1 Adapter Supporting 4K 120Hz and 8K HDR - Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4 Port Compatible - Maximum Resolution on Mac is 4K@60Hz" from amazon purchased Jul 12, 2021

Mac Studio M1 Ultra

HDMI cable from xbox series X

LG OLED C1 48"

1676089725836.jpeg

decryption

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I got this with:

"Cable Matters 48Gbps USB C to HDMI 2.1 Adapter Supporting 4K 120Hz and 8K HDR - Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4 Port Compatible - Maximum Resolution on Mac is 4K@60Hz" from amazon purchased Jul 12, 2021

Mac Studio M1 Ultra

LG OLED C1 48"

View attachment 2156873
Wow - nice one! Did you need to do anything with BetterDisplay or EDID configuration to force that output?

Alan Spiegel

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2023
Wacken 2013
Wow - nice one! Did you need to do anything with BetterDisplay or EDID configuration to force that output?

No, i didnt, just follow the tutorial steps, after importing the new EDID i changed to 120hz and activated hdr on mac settings.

Just in case:

1676092367598.jpeg

Attachments

• 1676092036320.jpeg
    1676092036320.jpeg
    553.1 KB · Views: 45

desert0616

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2020
1. Yes, i modified the EDID with awEditor, next, save it as another EDID which I loaded & applied via BetterDisplay.

2. No, i tested on 48" C1 OLED.
Mac Studio
Series X's HDMI cable
I am using the same TV as yours and was wondering if you could share a more detailed guide with pictures and the modified EDID file. Thanks.

dinosauradventure

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2023
Thanks to everyone in this thread. It's working here with the CableMatters adapter, MBP 16 M1 Pro & LG C2 42". I could not get the firmware updater to run on the adapter despite trying 2 different PCs.

Note that you may need to set the "Refresh Rate" in BetterDisplay before the 120Hz options will show under "Set Resolution".

It's very buggy though, especially with the MBP lid closed. At first I couldn't get any video output with the lid closed. Restarting fixed this. Still when putting the machine to sleep or waking I get "Invalid Format" on the LG TV. And better display keeps resetting the resolution/mirroring to default every time the machine wakes from sleep. So not very practical for daily use at the moment.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Thanks to everyone in this thread. It's working here with the CableMatters adapter, MBP 16 M1 Pro & LG C2 42". I could not get the firmware updater to run on the adapter despite trying 2 different PCs.

Note that you may need to set the "Refresh Rate" in BetterDisplay before the 120Hz options will show under "Set Resolution".

It's very buggy though, especially with the MBP lid closed. At first I couldn't get any video output with the lid closed. Restarting fixed this. Still when putting the machine to sleep or waking I get "Invalid Format" on the LG TV. And better display keeps resetting the resolution/mirroring to default every time the machine wakes from sleep. So not very practical for daily use at the moment.
You have to update the firmware which fixes the stability issues. As mentioned before, you have to use a windows laptop for the easiest method as most recent pc laptops support DisplayPort through usb c. Most desktops don’t unless they’re like the mini aio’s that have integrated graphics built in and even then it’s a crapshoot. The adapter must also be actively running onto your tv or monitor in order to flash it

Reactions: BeatCrazy

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I got this with:

Mac Studio M1 Ultra

LG OLED C1 48"

View attachment 2156873
You’re the first one here to get 10 bit. Most of us are using the same adapters but running MacBooks with M1/pro/max so maybe the Mac studios have a little different TB4 port that allows the higher bandwidth?

dinosauradventure

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2023
You have to update the firmware which fixes the stability issues. As mentioned before, you have to use a windows laptop for the easiest method as most recent pc laptops support DisplayPort through usb c. Most desktops don’t unless they’re like the mini aio’s that have integrated graphics built in and even then it’s a crapshoot. The adapter must also be actively running onto your tv or monitor in order to flash it
Thanks. I have access to a Dell Latitude 5520 with USB-C which the adapter works with, but trying to open the updater (as admin) I get the error "Can not find Synaptics MST SP Hub IC" even though it is connected to a monitor through the adapter (Windows 11).

Also have a desktop with integrated graphics (7900x) but can't get any video output from the adapter there.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008

Well, I tried your different scenarios and the firmware fix doesn't fix them sadly. You have to unplug and replug the adapter if your Mac goes to sleep. Really wish Apple would just fix this at the macOS level, but I doubt it as this issue has been out for well over a year already. My gut feeling is that they would rather you upgrade to a M2 Pro to natively get HDMI 2.1

stevemr123

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Just a quick note: it is important that you modify your own display's EDID, not reuse somebody else's as if identifiers are changing (serial number, model number etc), the OS will not recognize continuity with the display using the modified EDID and the the display using the original EDID. This can create issues like the OS forgetting settings, display layout gets reset, problems on wake etc. I now removed from my earlier post the cooked C2 EDID as that was meant to serve an example only, not to be generally used (even though it seems C2s do not have changing serial numbers).

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2021
I got this with:

Mac Studio M1 Ultra

LG OLED C1 48"

View attachment 2156873
Really nice !! I think u have the Model with HDMI Female right ?

U have this one? On this Adapter they write HDMI 2.1 !

I did see LG does show me now RGB 8b TM which mean it is HDMI 2.0 !!
This Adapter does not work correctly!:

This Cable does not have HDMI 2.1 ! It runs only with Cards like a GTX 2080 TI, then also with HDMI 2.0 u can get 8k30hz:

Attachments

• Bildschirm­foto 2023-02-11 um 19.41.54.png
    Bildschirm­foto 2023-02-11 um 19.41.54.png
    255.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

AironMan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2021
Just a quick note: it is important that you modify your own display's EDID, not reuse somebody else's as if identifiers are changing (serial number, model number etc), the OS will not recognize continuity with the display using the modified EDID and the the display using the original EDID. This can create issues like the OS forgetting settings, display layout gets reset, problems on wake etc. I now removed from my earlier post the cooked C2 EDID as that was meant to serve an example only, not to be generally used (even though it seems C2s do not have changing serial numbers).
Like Steve says, u have to download the EDID also when u plugin a new Adapter !! I plugged in the Cable matters and use the old EDID which does not work. So export the EDID again and change settings then it runs.

Cable matter have an Vmm7100 installed !
Also Firmware update is not possible because it has another Chip !

Attachments

• Bildschirm­foto 2023-02-11 um 19.11.51.png
    Bildschirm­foto 2023-02-11 um 19.11.51.png
    85.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Bildschirm­foto 2023-02-11 um 19.31.15.png
    Bildschirm­foto 2023-02-11 um 19.31.15.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.