Mac Mini 500GB HDD faster booting than Win 7 PC with SSD ?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Robtek777, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Robtek777 macrumors newbie

I have read on every forum that a SSD drive is so much quicker than a normal HDD but is there really that much difference in boot up times and general use.

I ask this because I have a (2012 i5, 8GB, 500GB) Mac Mini which takes about a 60-70 seconds to boot from the hard drive and both a Windows 7 PC and laptop with SSD's and these take longer 30-40 seconds longer to boot than the MM. Is this simple because the Mac OS is lot more efficient than Windows 7 or simple because I probably have more program installed on the Windows machines.

2. xylitol macrumors regular

You've read it on every forum and probably seen Youtube videos where they compare HDD vs SSD boot times, and yet you still need convincing, because your Windows 7 systems are either bloated or messed up or both. Don't Windows users use CCleaner or something to make their machines speedier? On OS X, slow SSD boot times are usually caused by not selecting the new boot drive in System Prefs. Is there something equivalent in Win 7?

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Well, as much as I hate to admit it, Windows is optimized to run smoothly on old, outdated enterprise PCs.

OS X is optimized to run on only recent hardware and SSDs.

4. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Something is definitely wrong with the Windows machines. Win 7 on an SSD shoot boot up in 25-30 seconds max.

5. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

Windows

I agree with both Meister and z31fanatic. There is something wrong with those machines. Windows! ;)

Seriously though, Win 7 should boot from an SSD in about ½ minute.

6. Robtek777 thread starter macrumors newbie

I decided to take the SSD out of my laptop (can still boot from normal HDD) and try it in an old desktop USB3 external enclosure on my Mac Mini.

Installed the latest OS 10.10.3 and it starts in about 40 seconds half the speed of the internal HDD. It loads Apps a lot quicker and machine seems faster in general.

This being the case I have just ordered an Inateck USB 3, UASP support SATA III case for the SSD so this I hope will make even more of a difference.