Mac Mini $599 - Install RAM, etc.

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by powerbook911, Mar 29, 2009.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I might buy a $599 Mac Mini this week, to connect to my television.

Question: How hard is it to open to add memory?

Or would it even suffice with 1 GB a while?

Appreciate the help.

2. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

It depends how comfortable you are wedging a putty knife in between the metallic and plastic bits and working with internals you'd see inside a videogame console or laptop. Here's a video.

3. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

I used my mac mini as a HTPC for two years with just 1 GB of ram. I never ran PLEX with this, but it never felt like it needed more. If you plan to use plex however, I think a ram upgrade might be sensible.

It's easy enough opening it up. I've done it twice with just my pocket knife. Whip in a 500 GB HDD while your in there though.

4. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Again I can vouch that it is nice and easy to open up and add ram!

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

very easy to do. i recommend it by far! and for so cheap from crucial - which also scans your system for the right RAM, you can't go wrong!

i have crucial RAM in both of my Mac's and will be going for a Crucial SSD sometime in the next year!

here is the link:

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Use care while inside

Many people have performed the upgrades w/o difficulty, however more than a few have manage to break a few minis as well.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=671600

The above thread was started as a word of caution and has a few links to those who've broken their minis and plenty of folks who've had no issue with the upgrades.

While Apple's upgrades are too expensive, you can buy your gear and have an Apple authorized service center do the install for $50-$100, still save money over the Apple configs and not worry about breakage or warranty issues.

Cheers,

7. cleric macrumors 6502a

cleric

Everyone makes sort of a big deal out of it but it takes 5min to change the ram.

8. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah but keep in mind this upgrade is WAY more involved than... per say changing the RAM in a UMB like my own.

a stay-at-home mom probably couldn't do THAT right so why would they be able to disassemble a Mini?

9. txnoob macrumors 6502

Agreed, it is involved. If you have experience working PCs or Laptops and are comfortable taking those things apart without fear of damaging things, then it should be no problem. Especially when using OWCs video as a guide.

Otherwise, as panzer suggested, buy the parts and find an authorized service center to do it for you.

10. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

It should also be noted that many of the videos are of older minis and may not be accurate as this poor unfortunate soul found out the hard way.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=678530

Cheers,

11. txnoob macrumors 6502

That's why I specifically recommended OWCs video which is of a new '09 Mini :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KaHNLR6Aac

EDIT: Also, it's clear the OP in the post you linked did not make sure he was watching instructions
    specifically for the model he purchased. I think history shows us that even within the same
    CPU architecture that changes are made when they otherwise don't even seem necessary.
    So it's important to make sure that you have a guide/video for the specific model you're attempting
    to upgrade. I ran into this with my eMac. Had to "wing it" a little, but because of my general
    understanding of computers the crossroads I came came to was solved logically. Obviously
    that may not be the case with everyone. So Research, Research, Research, and ask questions
    of people who have done it on the same model.

12. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I went ahead and ordered the new $599 model.

I should have it Wednesday.

Since I will only use it on TV, I'm going to try with the 1GB for a while, but I feel comfortable adding some more, if needed. I've always added memory to other computers and notebooks.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm going to connect it via VGA because on my TV, if I connect a Mac to HDMI, the overscan is about 10x worst than on VGA. Plus, I think the quality of digital is more hype, VGA looks pretty good to me, just analog.

13. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Ok, Mac Mini arrived!

This thing is fun. for regular stuff, even with only 1 GB still in it, feels about as fast as my 2.4 GHZ imac with 4GB of memory.

Question though: Is having some of your picture chopped off, when connected to a HD television just something you live with, when you connect a computer? All my Macs do it to this TV. Like the menu bar and dock are partially lopped off.

Mac Mini is amazing for what it is.

14. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

I've got my Mini hooked up to my Samsung HD via VGA and don't suffer any picture lopped off. Sorry for the obvious question but have you got your resolution settings correct and is the TV correctly set up to receive the signal on the appropriate source?

15. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yes, mine is Samsung too. All the settings are correct.