Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mehtdosa11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
nr London
Hi, I've received 3 minis which I've fixed up for sale. Two are A1103's running normal Tiger. One is an A1176. 1.66ghz Dual Core 512mb ram 60gb hard drive. This has Tiger Server running on it. However I've swapped the hard drive for a 100gb running Snow Leopard and increased the ram to 2gb. It runs fine on both systems.
My question is should I sell the Mini with the original configuration or use the Snow Leopard version? Just wondering if there is much call for a Tiger Server these days...any thoughts/suggestions gratefully received.:)

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
If you sell a Mac of that era, you need to include a genuine OS installer disk with the sale. You can't just put an OS on it and keep the disk.

Ownership of an installer disk is inherent in the licence to use the software.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
You CAN sell it without the install disk.
Are you supposed to? That's a separate question (that I don't want to get into).

The OP never said he even had the install disk, just hard drives with the OS installed. If he has the disks, then he should include the disk that matches the installed OS.

I'd say that Snow Leopard is going to be the more popular choice. It's newer and will support more modern software than Tiger will.

There's definitely demand for Tiger Server, but it's a much smaller group. Depending on how you're looking to sell it, you could always advertise the the buyer gets to pick which OS.

mehtdosa11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
nr London
Thanks for the info. No I don't have the install disks unfortunately. I do see loads of macs etc for sale on eBay with no install discs however, does it really matter?

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
The purchasers can obtain replacement original OS X discs from Apple for $17 each by calling Apple and giving them the model and serial numbers.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Also, once you have replacement discs from Apple for each Mac Mini:

Partition the hard drive into two partitions.

Install the original OS into one and Snow Leopard into the other. A "clone" program such as SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Clone might save some time for the 2nd and 3rd Mac Mini.

Offer the purchaser the option for the original OS or to hire you to upgrade it to SL.

When the purchaser makes their decision, delete the non-applicable partition (and restore its space to the other now solo partition).

You will need to purchase a new, fresh Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD for each Mac Mini for $20 each and if they elect the upgrade option, you must include the SL DVD with the original disc for the sale.

PS: Snow Leopard's Bootcamp allows for the installation of Windows XP, if the purchaser is interested in that option as well. I know it originally worked in Leopard Bootcamp, but I do not know if at this date it would work for Leopard or Intel Tiger, which if I remember correctly, never allowed for Bootcamp.

Of course, this would require separately purchased copies of Windows XP, as well.

Bootcamp's partition must be created BEFORE another partition is created...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.