mac mini accessories: webcam, external burners and KVM switches

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by evillageprowler, Jan 1, 2008.

1. evillageprowler macrumors regular

Nov 5, 2007
    NJ, USA
    Apologies if this has been asked too often before, or if this question is too basic as to seem silly...

I'm contemplating buying a Mac in the near future. Since I already have tons of PC stuff lying around the house, it makes sense for me to consider a Mini. I was wondering if most PC-compatible USB 2.0 webcams will simply work on the Mini, and if most PC-compatible external DVD burners will also simply work.

Also, does anyone know if the Mini will behave properly if I share a common KVM with a PC via a KVM switch?

2. evillageprowler thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 5, 2007
    NJ, USA
    I guess my question was too basic for this forum... ;)

Anyway, I checked at some of the major online sellers of accessories for Macs and I found some usb webcams and dvd burners that should work just fine.

As for KVM switches, well, I guess I'll be a bit avant-garde on this issue.

3. dazed macrumors 6502a

Jun 23, 2007
    i dont know about cams or burners but i've been using the Belkin Flip (usb with audio) for my xp box and mac mini for about 3 months now with very few issues.
  4. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    Western Australia
    You can use pretty much any external hard disk / dvd/cd burner, and any KVM switch (if you have the required adapters to convert the DVI to VGA)

webcams are a different story, although I could be wrong. There's maybe a handful of cams that will work without too much effort. Have a look around!
  5. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Sep 6, 2007
    Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
    My experience

Hi there,

I have a Mac Mini 1.42 PPC.

It's attached to a KVM that I use with a PC workstation.

The KVM is the 4 port DVI model from IOGear, and I'm using it to display to a 24" Samsung LCD.

I use a Logitech webcam, the QuickCam Ultravision SE with Skype on the Mini.

I'm using a Logitech Elite USB keyboard and an MX Revolution Cordless mouse through the KVM as well.

I built an external DVD burner out of a generic USB shell and a Plextor DVD writer, and use it with my Mac with no issues.

So far, I've done a lot of what you did, and it's all worked great. I had more problems with the KVM and my PC than I did with the Mac.