mac mini advice

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by cnnx, Jan 28, 2016.

1. cnnx macrumors newbie

Hi, the only and last mac I owned was an emac about 10 years ago (crt computer). I'm thinking of adding mac os x to my desktop next to my main gentoo/linux machine. I'm considering the mac mini, however should I be waiting a few months in case a new release will be shipping? since none were updated in 2015. any advice would be good

thanks

2. Daisy81 Suspended

Daisy81

What do you intend to use it for? Is this just to dip your toe in the water and see if you like it or do you have a specific tool you are looking to use?

3. cnnx thread starter macrumors newbie

just to have all major OS's handy on my desk.. I'd like to explore mac applications that I don't have on linux/windows

4. Daisy81 Suspended

Daisy81

If you're alright with the lesser HD4000 graphics the quad core 2012 Mac Minis are still the best overall Minis to get.

5. cnnx thread starter macrumors newbie

no, i want something new, and fast, 16gb ram/ssd, etc.. i dont mind waiting a while to see whats next in line for the mac mini, i rather wait than go backwards and buy used

6. Daisy81, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016

Daisy81 Suspended

Daisy81

The Mac Mini could be updated in a month or so or Apple could continue to ignore it. Unfourtunatly we can only hope and guess.

The 2012 Quad Core Mac Minis are the fast ones for multithreaded tasks and close enough for single threaded tasks. The only reason to get the new one is for the better graphics but honestly gaminig isn't Macs strength so it would be a waste. SATA3 for SSD won't be quite as fast but it isn't going to be noticed outside of benchmarks.

If you're dead set on the 2014 Mac Mini then you need to buy the 16GB of RAM upfront. That means you need to get a BTO Mac Mini. The $999 model comes with either a 256GB PCIe SSD or 1TB Fusion drive. Larger drives are upgrades. With 16GB of RAM you're looking at $1200. At this price range you might consider the 13" retina MacBook Pro.

The Core i7 option is still dual core with hyper threading. It's really just a 200 MHz boost in speed.

7. Osty macrumors 6502a

You could be waiting a long time for a lesser product. @Daisy81 has given you good advice. The 2012 and even the 2011 (which I have) are great machines and can be user-upgraded to 16GB and dual SSDs. If you are just after a tertiary box to dabble in OS X then don't waste your money on new and shiny thinking that it's better.

8. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Given your needs, it sounds like there's no particular hurry. In that case, I'd wait, but keep in mind it might be quite a while, several months maybe. I suggest waiting (if you can) because the 2016 might be compelling, in which case you'll be glad you waited. And if it's not compelling, then the other options suggested here will still be available, and likely cheaper too.

If you absolutely had to buy now, here's a simple rundown:
    2011 - Only year with a dedicated GPU offered. This makes it faster than the 2012 for GPU tasks, but about on par with the 2014. And of course slower for CPU tasks. USB ports are 2.0.
    2012 - Only year with a quad-core model. The quads outperform the 2014 for multicore use. First year with USB 3.0. Last year that RAM sockets were available, so you can still expand the memory.
    2014 - Fastest single core performance. GPU has caught up with 2011 dGPU. Can't upgrade RAM because it's soldered; what you buy it with is what you will have forever.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:

If you choose to buy a current-issue (2014) Mini, DO NOT buy UNLESS it has either an internal SSD or fusion drive.

If you want 16gb of RAM you have to buy it that way, as RAM is no longer upgradeable on the Mini product line.

You -could- wait for the release of an updated Mini, but that probably won't happen until later this year, at the earliest. I would expect September-November. But I could be wrong.

10. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

I'm thinking March. After all, two years was unique last time and the press event invitation tagline was "it's been too long".

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I'd either wait for an updated Mac Mini, or get the 2012 model.

12. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

I'm kinda in the same boat. I have a Mac Mini I purchased in 2006 and need to get something newer to run XCode and the latest OS. I'd like to get one now, but if I pay whatever the cost and a new model comes out this year, not going to be happy. Should I wait or go for it now.

J

13. Daisy81 Suspended

Daisy81

If you don't upgrade your machine are you unable to continue coding your projects and get paid? Is this your lively hood; i.e. can't ay your bills without it? If both of the answers are yes then go buy a new Mac Mini right now. If not the answer becomes a little more fuzzy but a 2012,2014 and whatever the new one will be called are all better then the 2006 model. I'd probably go used at this point to minimize the depreciation hit.

14. MisterAndrew macrumors regular

MisterAndrew

I recommend buying a brand new 2012 quad core that's available online at the Apple store right now! A 2016 Mac mini may be on its way but it's highly unlikely to have a quad-core processor and it will probably still have soldered memory, so I imagine the only things it will have going it for it are better graphics and Thunderbolt 3. The 2012 model has Thunderbolt 1 though so you could theoretically still attach a Thunderbolt 3 eGPU like the Razer Core to it with a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt (2) adapter and still see pretty good performance.

15. Daisy81 Suspended

Daisy81

Where do you see a 2012 Quad Mac Mini on Apple's site for sale that is brand new? They have one refurbished 2014 Mac Mini and the new 2014 Mac Minis for sale that I can see.

16. MisterAndrew macrumors regular

MisterAndrew

Look in the Clearance section. Click "Shop for College" at the bottom of the main Apple page first, then click "Refurbished," then click "Clearance Items." Then you'll get $20 off, assuming you're eligible for the Education discount of course. :)

17. Daisy81 Suspended

Daisy81

I found it, link.

Oh my goodness that is the 2.3GHz Quad Core model that I have. That is quite the find MisterAndrew. This is the one to get especially if you buy AppleCare on it.

18. MisterAndrew macrumors regular

MisterAndrew

Hehe yep. I think it's kinda hiding out down there. I think most people don't look in the Clearance section because it's usually empty and also those refurb tracker sites/apps don't track products there so people aren't getting any notification. Because it's not a refurb. :) Mines preparing for shipment. So excited! :)

19. Daisy81 Suspended

Daisy81

That is seriously awesome! I have the same Mac Mini sitting next to my iMac. I love it. I added in a Intel 240GB SSD and upgraded the RAM to 16GB. Outside of gaming the machine is amazing. Plus it is so tiny. Absolutly beautiful machine.

20. MisterAndrew macrumors regular

MisterAndrew

Sweet! I'm using the i5 version right now. It's been a great machine! I got it for $350 open-box at Best Buy just after the 2014 models came out (they were getting rid of their 2012 display units). But I've been drooling over the quad i7 forever. :) I upgraded it with a 256GB SSD + 512GB SSD + 16GB RAM, so I'll just swap the drives and ram into the new one. Then I'll sell the i5 or give it to a friend. :)

Pretty soon Thunderbolt eGPUs like the Razer Core will be out so then it could be awesome for gaming too!

21. Daisy81, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016

Daisy81 Suspended

Daisy81

Keep in mind this is a first generation thunderbolt port so it will have some performance loss comapred to internal graphics chips but it will be heads and shoulders above the HD4000. :D

22. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

23. Daisy81 Suspended

Daisy81

That was fast. I guess there where only a few. These things sell fast.

24. MisterAndrew macrumors regular

MisterAndrew

Aw sad. It was in stock until about an hour ago since yesterday. I hope everyone got one who wanted one. :)

25. Daisy81 Suspended

Daisy81

It reminds me of the frenzy to grab them off the refurbished section after everyone realized how lacking the 2014 model was.